From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

overwrite file error on "Open/Create/Replace File"

I'm writing a program that creates an Excel file and sends data, etc. I have it set up so that when it gets the error code (code 😎 for "file already exists" it outputs a message to the user that has some instructions for what they need to do. Problem is, that sub-vi already outputs two messages when this error occurs.

Is there a way to disable the messages that the sub-vi outputs?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,728 Views)
I believe you have specified a file operation type of "create" when using Open/Create/Replace File".
When I try to write to a file that already exists in this mode, then I get the two dialog boxes you mention:
Dialog Message A - " This file already exists Do you want to replace it?"
Dialog Message B - "File exists"

You could do a couple of things to circumvent this:
1 - Replace the "create" mode going into the "Open/Create/Replace File" with a mode of "create or replace". Now, you will only get one dialog that says "Replace existing ?"

2 - If you open up the "Open/Create/Replace File" VI, you'll notice that it contains the function "File Dialog". "File Dialog" is responsible for generating Dialog Message A as mentioned above. There's nothing you can do about this dialog programmatically except change the mode of the operation ("create" vs. "create or replace").

3 - If you further investigate the block diagram of the "Open/Create/Replace File" VI, you'll also notice that it generates a dialog box that corresponds to Dialog Message B mentioned above. One option for you is to save a copy of the "Open/Create/Replace File" VI and modify this copy--eliminating this extraneous dialog message.

Personally, just changing the mode to "create or replace" seems easiest.

Please see the Word document I've attached which shows screenshots and explanations.

-SciAuto
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,714 Views)
Wow... thanks for the excellent response. I think I will try saving a copy of the VI and changing it so it doesn't post the messages. I'd just change it to "create or replace", but I don't want the file to be overwritten... so, I'll take the darker path. Thanks again!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,707 Views)
Hi you can try this.

Kaustubh
VC (Pune)
INDIA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,688 Views)