LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

output value to command line from LabView?

Greetings,

What is easiest way to return a string (code + message) from LabView to a windows command line?  CIN? dll?  If I need to create a dll (or lsb file for CIN), can I use Cygwin or Mingw?  I would rather not purchase a separate compiler merely to return a value/string from an executable.  Any thoughts and possible examples would be most welcome. 

Cheers,
Justin
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,099 Views)

I've been trying to think of ways to do this, but so far, no luck. My best advice, and it is by no means good advice, would be to write a text file with the desired output from your LabVIEW app and then write a batch file that calls the executable followed by some text editor type application that can read the text file contents to the command line.

Some other things I tried were setting environment variables from LabVIEW (which I can do) and then reading them after the exe finishes executing (which I can't do). It seems environment variables are only persistant throughout the execution of the process that sets them. So as soon as the LabVIEW exe finishes, the temporary environment variables go away.

This was submitted as a product suggestion by our customers.

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,074 Views)
Thanks for the suggestions Jarrod.  I came up with similar ideas for a work around.  The application requirements just changed and I will not have to include this functionality.  However, if you do come across a good way to accomplish this, I would be interested.

Cheers,
Justin
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,062 Views)