From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

optics, using Agiltron 8-Bit Switch

I'm working with an Agiltron optical Delay Line and they provide an example file called 8bitReadWrite which controls the instrument using VISA calls.  There is a manual, however it is incomplete.  I know this because I captured the outgoing USB traffic and noticed that before starting the manufacturer's canned Software Utility called SwBoard (which is Agiltron's Switch Evaluation Kit Program) the software sends some configuration commands that are not in the manual.

I needed to do this because the when using the LabVIEW example that they provided I was able to successfully set approximately half of the delay values (0-255).  Note: this piece of equipment also has LEDs 0-128 that light up when the delay is set.  Using the LabVIEW example I can set all of these LEDs...and I assumed that the resulting delay would also be correct.  However, in some cases, the LEDs were set but the output turned off.  Meaning instead of a delay...I got no light through the unit.  

Sending the same command with the SwBoard allows me to set the LEDs and the correct delay.  As a matter of fact if I start the SwBoard, configure it to the port on which my USB cable is connect and then simply shut it down, then my LabVIEW code works.

Has anyone had a similar experience?  Has anyone had to deal with Agiltron's customer support?

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,429 Views)

@Barneyho wrote:

I'm working with an Agiltron optical Delay Line and they provide an example file called 8bitReadWrite which controls the instrument using VISA calls.  There is a manual, however it is incomplete.  I know this because I captured the outgoing USB traffic and noticed that before starting the manufacturer's canned Software Utility called SwBoard (which is Agiltron's Switch Evaluation Kit Program) the software sends some configuration commands that are not in the manual.

I needed to do this because the when using the LabVIEW example that they provided I was able to successfully set approximately half of the delay values (0-255).  Note: this piece of equipment also has LEDs 0-128 that light up when the delay is set.  Using the LabVIEW example I can set all of these LEDs...and I assumed that the resulting delay would also be correct.  However, in some cases, the LEDs were set but the output turned off.  Meaning instead of a delay...I got no light through the unit.  

Sending the same command with the SwBoard allows me to set the LEDs and the correct delay.  As a matter of fact if I start the SwBoard, configure it to the port on which my USB cable is connect and then simply shut it down, then my LabVIEW code works.

Has anyone had a similar experience?  Has anyone had to deal with Agiltron's customer support?

Thanks,

Ben

None of this has to do with LabVIEW.

You need to deal with Agiltron. They are hardly a big name manufacturer like Agilent/Keysight.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,420 Views)