LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

opening VI error

VI file suddenly does not open.

When i try to open it, the following message appears.

"Labview: Failed to load dynamic library because of missing external symbols or dependencies, or because of an ainvalid file format.

The file 'main.vi' could not be loaded.

Can I recover this vi file? plz help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,183 Views)

There is a list of things that could be causing this error to appear here - https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P70sSAC&l=en-GB

I get the same error too. The VI is lacking some data necessary to open. I see that there are some symbols in the control names that could be in another language. Does the installation of LabVIEW on this computer have the correct language version and libraries? It might be a missing font issue. 

Many Thanks, 

Riley 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,165 Views)

I think it's not a font issue, because i used this VI file many times on this computer.

I force quit Labview once, and it has been like this since then.

I tried to open it on another computer, but it doesn't work.

Is there no way anymore?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,145 Views)

The link says it all. In situations like these, use your SCC to revert to the last version.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,113 Views)

Open "main.vi" with Notepad and look at it.  It's not a VI anymore, it's a csv file now.  Somehow you overwrote the VI with numeric data.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,106 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

Open "main.vi" with Notepad and look at it.  It's not a VI anymore, it's a csv file now.  Somehow you overwrote the VI with numeric data.

Uh-oh, a malformed path, I guess.  I can envision forgetting to strip the filename from the path and... oops.  (Not sure why you would be saving a file to the same path as your VI, though.)  Let's say you forget to strip the filename from the path, and whatever generates your file name bombs and returns an empty string...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,094 Views)

@billko wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:

Uh-oh, a malformed path, I guess.  I can envision forgetting to strip the filename from the path and... oops.  (Not sure why you would be saving a file to the same path as your VI, though.)  Let's say you forget to strip the filename from the path, and whatever generates your file name bombs and returns an empty string...

My general rules for relative paths:

1. VI paths should be based on Current VI's Path or the lvlibp directory.

2. Configuration file paths should be based on Application Directory.

3. Logged data should be in a Public Documents folder.

I do these in order to keep compatibility between the development environment and an executable.  I put logged data in a Public Documents folder so that I know I can write to it and anybody on the computer can access it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,076 Views)