From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open multiple vi copies

I want to open 10 copies of the same VI, and still have full use of each of the 10 front panels and the data associated with each instance. I have one VI that is called Furnace Control. It is called by another VI, called Main Panel. The Main Panel has 10 buttons, and each button is supposed to open a separate copy of the Furnace Control VI for each of my 10 furnaces. I have made Furnace Control VI re-entrant with clones for each instance, but this fails to achieve my goal. I have read conflicting threads saying that vit's are the way to go, while other threads say that re-entrant vi's are best.  

I am going in circles here trying to figure this out. thanks for the insight

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,135 Views)

i guess i wasn't using the right search words. but i found this, in case other people have the same issues.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/What-is-the-difference-between-VI-Template-and-vi-that-is/m-p/538136...

i had been using vit's for a longtime, but i am looking to avoid the annoying save messages once i want to close each instance of the template. is there a way to ignore the save before quitting message?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,119 Views)

Hi,

If you are looking to save changes, then you can programmatically save the VI's at the end of your program; but I'm not sure if this would actually help you or not.  You could also call the "Quit LabVIEW" function if you are wanting to close out of LV altogether.  However, I don't believe that you can get rid of this dialog box altogether.

Cheers,

Marti C
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
NI Medical
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,093 Views)

A reentrant vi would be the best way to do this. If you are not going to do anything but pass data to and from this VI.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,088 Views)

Make sure that you have set the reenterant mode properly so that it can be reused.

19199i54F0DFB0814E33BE

Tim
GHSP
Message 5 of 7
(3,086 Views)

Please, I need help with this....

I'm trying to open multiple instances of a subVI, I made a small project following your advises, but I can't make it work, and I don't know what is wrong.

I use a Event Structure to register when a button is pressed and it calls the subVI. My goal is that, everytime I press the button, a new instance of the subVI is opened, no matter if there are another instance in the screen.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,833 Views)

Don't use the Call by Reference node.

You need to use a VI server reference to open and run the VI.  Take a look at this message thread for how to do it.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,829 Views)