LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open a different vi than the startup vi from a build application in LV2009

When building an application (exe file), I have to select a vi as "statup vi" in the build specification. This vi opens its front panel and executes when I execute the application.

But I can still open the front panel of other vis by using a command line argument:

myapp.exe "myvi.vi

The startup vi still opens and runs, and the vi "myvi.vi" opens its front panel as well. That was before LV2009.

Since I upgraded from LV8.5 to LV2009, my shortcuts do not seem to work anymore. I also tried using a longer path with the new LV2009 exe structure:

myapp.exe "subdirectory\myvi.vi" since the vi is in a subdirectory. It does not work either.

1-How can I open a vi when launching a build application, like it was possible before LV2009

2-How can I (Why can I not) use the File/Open... menu item of a front panel window to open a vi that resides in side the build executable?

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,644 Views)

I think the only solution for your request is setting the option "Use LabVIEW 8.x file layout" in the advanced tap of the application builder.

I am not sure if the feature you are using here is an expected one for executables. Since LV 2009 made big changes to the way how executables are built, it is possible that this feature does not work anymore even if you set the feature....

hope this helps,

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,643 Views)

Thanks Norbert for (incredibly) fast reply.

Well: in the advanced page of the build specification, we still see the option "pass all command line arguments to application". If disabled, only the arguments after "--" (two hyphen) are passed to the application itself (according to the help for this dialog window). So I assume that the arguments before the two hyphens are interpreted by the runtime engine. In previous versions of LV putting a vi path (inside or outside of the exe) would open its front panel - even though doing a quick search I could not find documentation about this feature...

Is there any documentation about which arguments are accepted by the runtime engine when the mentioned option is disabled? Can we not give a vi that should open (anymore)?

Baptiste

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,637 Views)

I can't comment on that feature since I was not aware of it. But instead of relying on the run-time engine you could also implement the functionality yourself in the startup VI. Pass the command line arguments to the exe (you saw that option in the app builder), then parse them in the startup VI. If it contains a name of a VI that you allow to be opened that way, open its front panel.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,616 Views)