LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old application reports "The VI is not executable. The full development version of LabVIEW is required to fix the errors"

Hi

I have developed a small, simple aplication. This is build with application builder and installed on several PC's.

This has been running with no problems for years.

One user is now getting this error: "The VI is not executable. The full development version og LabVIEW is required to fix the errors."

The application has not been changed for 6 months, and is build with LabVIEW 2017.

I have searched for possible reasons, but no one of them is usable in my situation.

The application is used every day.

The problem started just after he installed Microsoft Visio.

The user PC has the exact same .NET versions installed as on my development PC.

He has tried to uninstall the application and the LV runtime engine, but nothing helps.

Thanks in advance!

Kaare

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(2,942 Views)

Is there any addon Toolkits used in the application development?

What kind of application is that basically (What it does)?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(2,925 Views)

@KaareBach wrote:

One user is now getting this error: "The VI is not executable. The full development version og LabVIEW is required to fix the errors."

The application has not been changed for 6 months, and is build with LabVIEW 2017.

I have searched for possible reasons, but no one of them is usable in my situation. 

How has it been running for years while it's developed in LV17? If it changed 6 month ago, I'd say the application is 6 months old. Not that it matters, really. But facts can be critical.

Do you get any reference to the VI that is broken? The name of the VI would be good to know. usually you get a more specific error.

Do you use .net in the application? That would be suspicious, and a likely cause of the problem. Or  ActiveX, including the report generation toolkit? That would be a known issue.

When you say it has the exact same .net versions installed, does that include all the assembly versions? Or just the .net runtime version?

Any dynamically loaded VI's, PLL's, external VI's, etc.?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(2,914 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@KaareBach wrote:

How has it been running for years while it's developed in LV17? If it changed 6 month ago, I'd say the application is 6 months old. Not that it matters, really. But facts can be critical.

Do you get any reference to the VI that is broken? The name of the VI would be good to know. usually you get a more specific error.

Do you use .net in the application? That would be suspicious, and a likely cause of the problem. Or  ActiveX, including the report generation toolkit? That would be a known issue.

When you say it has the exact same .net versions installed, does that include all the assembly versions? Or just the .net runtime version?

Any dynamically loaded VI's, PLL's, external VI's, etc.?

The application did not change for years, but due to another issue, I converted to LV 2017, and made the new installer from here.

No broken VI's.

I don't use .NET, but when googling the problem, it seems to be a common problem.

I guess it is just the runtime versions. Not sure how to check assembly versions.

No dynamically loaded VI's.

Thanks

Kaare

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(2,908 Views)

@PalanivelThiruvenkadam wrote:

No Toolkits used.

And no additional installers.

The application is a simple tool used to keep track on how we use hour time on different development projects.

So it is not a "normal" LabVIEW program: No external I/O boards etc. is used. It is only a user interface.

br

Kaare

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(2,907 Views)

on the subject of .NET, unless things have changed recently. LabVIEW in 2015 did not fully support .NET 4.0 (and I don't think it does in 2017 either but I am happy to be corrected.) - You might need to ensure .NET 3.5 is fully installed.

The other possibility that you haven't covered yet is that it is possible to compile an installer "require the development system". Is it possible that you have done this and the license has lapsed on that machine?

James

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(2,901 Views)

@James_W wrote:

on the subject of .NET, unless things have changed recently. LabVIEW in 2015 did not fully support .NET 4.0 (and I don't think it does in 2017 either but I am happy to be corrected.) - You might need to ensure .NET 3.5 is fully installed.

The other possibility that you haven't covered yet is that it is possible to compile an installer "require the development system". Is it possible that you have done this and the license has lapsed on that machine?

James

Hi James

No, the user never had the LabVIEW development system installed on his PC.

br

Kaare

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(2,898 Views)

So..

+ The user had this application up and running.

+ Then installed Visio.

+ And it stopped running?

+ No ActiveX or .NET in the code (also no report generation)?

+ The error does not mention a specific VI?

Running out of options\ideas...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(2,889 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

So..

+ The user had this application up and running.

+ Then installed Visio.

+ And it stopped running?

+ No ActiveX or .NET in the code (also no report generation)?

+ The error does not mention a specific VI?

Running out of options\ideas...

Yes, your summary is very precise 🙂

And I am also stuck...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(2,885 Views)

@KaareBach wrote:

@PalanivelThiruvenkadam wrote:

No Toolkits used.

And no additional installers.

The application is a simple tool used to keep track on how we use hour time on different development projects.

So it is not a "normal" LabVIEW program: No external I/O boards etc. is used. It is only a user interface.

So how do you save the time? 

Database ? Excel ? File ? 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(2,881 Views)