From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ok, has anyone used geckodrive gm215

I'm trying to communicate with a Geckodrive GM215 motion controller device. It connects for programming using RS485, and I had hoped that the commands could be sent "real time" to the unit to run it, rather than using their python based app to download a program that is subsequently run. I haven't had it in my hot little hands very long, but haven't been successful sending commands to it yet using straight serial communications and manually entering the commands. This could be as simple as where they say <ENTER> in the programming manual that I need a \cr vs \n, but I don't know yet.

Anyone with any experience with this unit or any of the other motion controllers from Geckodrive that can help would be appreciated.

As always, Thanks in advance!

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,418 Views)

Hi Putnam,

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any instrument drivers specific to gecko and their controllers, although we do have a motion controller add-on for LabVIEW that may be compatible with driving this device: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/10594

It may also be worth a try and see if you are sending the commands by performing a serial loopback test: http://www.ni.com/tutorial/3450/en/

Aaron L.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,311 Views)

Got more info, instructions are lower level than what I perceived in the manual, am building a command generator/driver, hope to have it running tomorrow.

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,283 Views)

I'm also using the GM215 and trying to control with labview 2012. I've successfully been able to send a string command for changing velocity. I haven't been able to send strings for just moving forward and backward a certain number of steps. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,206 Views)

I actually got my application working pretty well, if still with some issues. I am not where I can look at my code at the moment, am actually reopening that project for some upgrades in the near future, so if I get a chance this evening I will look at the code and see if I can make some suggestions.

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,177 Views)