LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

odd behavior from a Scan From String node inside a Diagram Disable structure

A colleague showed me this:

sfs_dds.png

The datatypes change when you put it into the Diagram Disable structure. It's fine if the string is inside the Enabled case.

Have you seen this?  I'm using 32-Bit LabVIEW 2018.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,432 Views)

Same in 2019. Curiously, it works fine once the output are wired with the correct datatypes.

Message 2 of 7
(2,422 Views)

I see it in LV 2017 as well.

Very odd.

Message 3 of 7
(2,414 Views)

Of course the code is still highly ambiguous because there are many integer or floating point datatypes. Once you wire the desired datatype, things work as expected.

enabledscan.png

As said, is is also sufficient to wire a correct output and the terminals adapt.

enabledscanB.png

Message 4 of 7
(2,408 Views)

The first Scan From String works because, at edit time, it can read the value of the constant.  It's probably looking for the source of the wire.

When the second Scan From String looks for the wire source, it finds the inside terminal of the tunnel, whose value at edit time is probably an empty string.  Since other structures work OK, there is probably a bug in the Diagram Disable Structure that prevents (at edit time) the constant value from propagating through the tunnel.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 5 of 7
(2,374 Views)

I just thought it was odd.  Something about "disable" structures keeps the  Scan From String node from finding the Scan string through a tunnel.

sfs_dds.png

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 6 of 7
(2,372 Views)

Thanks for reporting this, Jim

I agree it's odd behavior and have filed CAR #744124 for the appropriate team to review it and follow-up.

Regards,

Message 7 of 7
(2,325 Views)