LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

non-matching Strictly Typed VI References

Again I'm banging my head against a brick wall trying to get something done.

I have a set of classes which fire up an asynchronous process but I want to move the launching of the process into the parent class.  To do this I thought of passing back a reference to the asyncrhonous part of the VI to the parent and then calling via Asynchronous node.

I have three different classes with EXACTLY the same controls wired up to exactly the same position on the connector pane but two of them have the same strictly typed reference whereas the third is different.

I see NO reason why the two types of different strictly typed references should exist.  Is there something else that the type of the strict reference is dependent on?

Even highlighting the wire for the different VI refnum wires in the context help window offers no clue as to WHY there are two different strict reference types.  The list of attached controls seems identical.  I've even copied across the controls fromt eh "working" VIs to the the other but to no avail.

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,601 Views)

Check the strict type definition for the subVI refnums by right clicking on the control refnums within the subVI.  If you remove the strict type, could this solve your issue?

Message 2 of 6
(2,582 Views)

Personally, I need some visual aids to understand your problem. I'm assuming you're using static refs to the subVIs, but it's possible you're using cached types, so it would be useful to see exactly what you're talking about.

I found the problem.  One VI input had a single input configured as "Recommended" whereas the others were all defined as "Required".  I found this by then trying to cast them back anbd forth.  D'oh.

Replacing controls does not change this setting.  My bad, sorry.

Shane.

PS. I dunno, is it possible to have better visibility of the actual "Vi Interface Type" definition?  The context help does not show this information for the strict typed wire.

Message 4 of 6
(2,564 Views)

Sounds like this thread.  There's an example there of using a scripting property to compare the VI connector panes, maybe that helps?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,545 Views)

Yup, indeed the very same problem.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,532 Views)