From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no sensor detected/ possible serial communication issue

We are interested in controlling the Pfeiffer Maxi Gauge gauge controller through PC via serial port. We've so far based our program off of the standard Labview gauge driver offered by Pfeiffer at http://www.pfeiffer-vacuum.com/en/downloads/container. The pertinent file is attached.

The problem is, although it runs, the pressure reads 0 for each sensor (which is not true). I'm not sure whether the problem is something awry with the serial connection (bad serial cables, etc.) or something amiss about the program itself (I could be executing it wrong as well).

Also, the Baud rate resets itself after each run. When it should be set to 19200, it resets to 9600. I would be helpful to find out why this happens.

So, any advice would be great; though, if one has any troubleshooting tips for the serial connection, this would be beneficial as well. Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(4,985 Views)

You didn't include the subVIs and the lvlib that those VIs are associated with. Please zip these up and attach them along with your VI and then we will be bale to open it up and look at it. Thanks,

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(4,950 Views)

Ah, I see the URL didn't go through. 

This one should: http://www.pfeiffer-vacuum.com/en/products/measurement/container.action

The download is at the right: "Maxi Gauge LabVIEW Driver 2009"

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(4,944 Views)

With opening the VI you sent to me it looks like you have the baud rate unwired, which means that it will use the defualt value of 9600. You need to wire a constant in to the initialize terminal. This could also be the reason you are getting bad data for your pressure.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(4,936 Views)

Hello,

I am trying to do the same you have in the past, just trying to be able to read and write the pressure from a Maxi Gauge TPG 256 A using th serial port and Labview, however i am not able to find the driver for it "Maxi Gauge LabVIEW Driver", how you got them? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(2,980 Views)

Hi chispi,

did you ask Pfeiffer for support?

They offer some drivers for their more recent devices: in case they use a similar communication scheme it might be possible to use (or atleast adapt) them too…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(2,970 Views)

Hi GerdW,

Thanks a lot for your message. I have asked them, i got the following: "There are no Labview drivers for the TPG256. Sorry"

Regards,

Cristobal

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(2,965 Views)

Hi Cristobal,

but they offer some manuals, including a description of the comm protocol, on their website.

You need to create an account to get access to those documents:

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(2,960 Views)

Hi GerdW,

thanks a lot, i will have a look and check what i can do.

Regards,

Chispi

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(2,952 Views)

Hi,

Could you please include the subVIs, if you still have them, since the link does not work anymore.

Thanks a lot.

chispi

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(2,916 Views)