From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ni usb-6501 to communicate it with multiplexer and to then communicate with keithley 2420

Hello,

I am working on the communication with ni usb -6501 with a multiplexerwhich decides which diode to use for the measurement(6 to 1 multiplexer) and then multiplexer (controlby the user) communicates with keithley-2420.i have done the programming and other things of one diode with keithley.

would you tell me from where to start this thing or is my way of communication is wrong.

any suggestion would be very helpful for me.

**communication of usb-6501 with multiplexer+and then multiplexer with keithley-2420(all things are to  be done in labview environment)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(2,649 Views)

Hi iyot,

is my way of communication is wrong.

Your communication in this forum thread is wrong: you forgot to attach your current VI!

would you tell me from where to start this thing

Read the manuals for your USB6501, the multiplexer and the K2420…

(For more specific answers you need to ask more specific questions!)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25
(2,643 Views)

@Gerdw

this is the simple vi of the program for one cell (mod6aug)and the other one is for doing the further analysis of the cell (voltage and current array to be taken out of the loop). I don't know now how to further interface these

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(2,629 Views)

Hi iyot,

unfortunately I don't use LV2018 yet (as can be seen in my signature).

Can you downconvert your VIs?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
(2,622 Views)

hi @gredw,

i have to check why its not getting convertedd to previous version(rather its getting in form of folder)

i guess these pictures would help

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(2,618 Views)

What's your question?  What are you having trouble with?  Does the code work as expected or are there errors?

I don't see a concise description of your application or the problem.  How do these two instruments work together?  How does the user interacts with the multiplexer?  How do you want your software to behave?  What do you need help with?

Until you describe things a bit more clearly I doubt you'll get much more help.  I'll take a guess based on this.

>> **communication of usb-6501 with multiplexer+and then multiplexer with keithley-2420(all things are to  be done in labview environment)

What multiplexer?  I doubt the multiplexer can communicate with other instruments on its own.  Your LabVIEW program can communicate with all of these instruments, so you need to design your code accordingly.  Are you looking for a design that will allow that?  Its very possible, but without a good description of how you want the code to work, its hard to give you good advice.  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(2,600 Views)

@cstorey

The thing is i have thought about taking 4 diode/resistor measurment one by one  in keithley 2420 by using usb ni-6501 as a switch(controlled by labview code)which is in muliplexer(4 to 1).

idon't know how much clear i need to explain about this. i need help in this that should i use multiplexer or relay switch (with ni usb-6501)

if no one of you people are getting it,it would be better not  to reply on this thread.

coming to the questions:

Q. Does the code work as expected or are there errors?

yes it worked,but its just for one cell connected to the terminal of keithley.

Q.I doubt the multiplexer can communicate with other instruments on its own

i know that,thats why i am using usb 6501

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(2,593 Views)

Hi jyot,

if no one of you people are getting it,it would be better not  to reply on this thread.

You should have provided that image right from the start. Much better than writing a thousand words…

you need to implement several steps:

1. set 3 DO signals to select the MUX channel
  2. wait for signal settling time
  3. read Keithley measurement value
  4. go back to step 1 to select next MUX channel

Whenever you have clear steps you could use a state machine.

Whenever there is a loop in your algorithm you need/should use a loop in your code.

Which of these steps is a problem to you?

Where are you stuck?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25
(2,591 Views)

@gredw

i am  at stuck at step 2( after the selection of the output channel from mux) how to simultaneously communicate between these two i.e. mux controlled by ni usb -6501 and keithley. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(2,586 Views)

Hi jyot,

why do you need to communicate simultaneously when you first set the MUX, then read the Keithley!?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(2,583 Views)