From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ni 488.2 and ni daqmx

HI

I have an application which is built in Labview 6, i'm trying to run that in 10.0 but i'm getting errors related to some files (AI Config.vi),
 after that i found some difference in installtion of the Labview folders were i see NI- 488.2 in labview 6 and NI-Daqmx in labview 10 i'm gussing this might be the reason for this..i dont know the difference between NI-488.2 and Daqmx..can anyone tell me how do i resolve this..what is the best approach to get this solved and can i get the url for labview 6 free download..

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,036 Views)

488.2 is the GPIB.  That is an instrumentation bus for talking to stand-alone instruments (like a Tektronix oscilloscope).  DAQmx is the driver suite for controlling NI's DAQ cards.  They are totally unrelated.

Now, since LabVIEW 6.0, A LOT has changed.  The DAQ drivers back then (NI-DAQ) are completely obsolete now.  Around the LabVIEW 7 days, NI came out with a much better suite called DAQmx.  You need to figure out how to convert all of your NI-DAQ (or Traditional DAQ) code to use DAQmx.

For the NI-488.2, that code should still work.  But I highly recommend changing over to use VISA instead.  VISA is a hardware abstraction layer so you can seamlessly change from GPIB to LAN to serial without changing your code all over the place.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,026 Views)

Thanks ur valuable info...

I have a card NI-PCIe6353 i think it supports only DAQmx.. then i have bit of code which has developed with traditional DAQ drivers..now i have installed labview 2010 with NI-DAQmx 9.2.2.. in which i 'm getting problem with few vi's like AI Config.vi,AI Start.vi,AI Read.vi,AI Read (scaled array).vi,AI Clear.vi and so on.. i understood that this was the problem with the driver i have currently..What could be the solution for this..

How do i convert..i have basic labview programming knowledge..

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,997 Views)

Unfortunately, there is not simple way to do this.  You have to figure out what Traditional DAQ VI was called where and find the equivalent DAQmx VI to do the same thing.  Not exactly something I would give to a newbie as you really need knowledge from both driver sets to truely get it working properly.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,990 Views)

ok..thanks a lot..

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,987 Views)

The VIs you mention are part of traditional DAQ as you have already mentioned. This old driver is not installed by default and cannot be used on later OS's (except for a 32-bit beta). There is no easy way to convert from traditional DAQ. Unless you have the most basic of data acquisition tasks, you will need to be very familiar with both the traditional DAQ functions and DAQmx. You can get an idea of what is required here.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,983 Views)

I could do transition of some vi's using the document provided by you, Can i know what are the functions in daqmx for traditional daq functions like AO Update channels , AO Update channels (scaled array) ,AO write (scaled array), AI Read (scaled array).

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,948 Views)

For the AO functions, you would probably use some variant of DAQmx Write. The AI function would be replaced with a DAQmx Read. The DAQmx functions are polymorphic so you would pick the correct type.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,931 Views)

Sorry I didnt get exactly..you mean to say All the AO functions can be replaced with DAQmx write and all the AI can be replaced with DAQmx read..

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,889 Views)

Essentially, yes. There may be some other functions required but I don't have traditional DAQ installed so I cannot look at them to see everthing that is being done. Some of the traditional DAQ functions are VIs that do several things. You have to look at them and decide if other DAQmx functions or properties need to be called. Find a pc where you can install the latest version of tradtional DAQ or the beta. You really have to install this and study the descriptions of the functions in it.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,865 Views)