LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new life for old LabVIEW?

I'm presently thinking about transitioning off of WinXP to something more modern.  The hangup is that I need to bring LabVIEW 5.1 with me.  Plus, I use it with GPIB instruments so I need NI488.2 also.  After some experimentation and what-not I've determined the following:

Win7 (64-bit) couldn't even get the installer to work, compatibility thing didn't seem to help.

Win7 (32-bit) basically pointless on multiple levels

Ubuntu with WINE might work except for the GPIB driver issue; still investigating.

WinXP (64-bit) couldn't install.

My question: is there something I've missed or haven't tried that would get LV5.1.1 working on Ubuntu or Win7 (in that order of preference)?  Alternatively can anyone confirm for a fact that WinXP is as far as I can go with LV5.1.1?  I know I can take the coward's way out and set up an XP partition just for LabVIEW.  Upgrading LabVIEW is also, unfortunately, not an option.

TIA,

eric

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,005 Views)

Hmmm.  That's a tough one.  If you are stuck with old code (LV5.1) then you might as well stick with an old OS (XP).

I'd say go for the XP partition or a virtual machine running on a Win7 host ... or upgrade LabVIEW. 

Why the hang-up on 5.1.1?

http://www.medicollector.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,995 Views)

Have you search for LabVIEW 5.1 compatibility with different windows versions ? 

Take a look here:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B972242574D4BB99862575A7007520CB

Sorry to say, but it seems to be that LabVIEW 5.1.1 is not compatible with Windows 7 and Windows XP.

You might be lucky to get it running on Windows XP as XP is very much like 2000. But Windows 7 has a different design/structure.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,980 Views)

It's just not used enough to justify the cost of an upgrade or the effort that may be required to port the vis.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,977 Views)

For certain versions of Windows 7, you can freely download and install Windows XP Mode with Virtual PC. Might just work.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,971 Views)

@dkfire wrote:

Have you search for LabVIEW 5.1 compatibility with different windows versions ? 

Take a look here:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B972242574D4BB99862575A7007520CB

Sorry to say, but it seems to be that LabVIEW 5.1.1 is not compatible with Windows 7 and Windows XP.

You might be lucky to get it running on Windows XP as XP is very much like 2000. But Windows 7 has a different design/structure.

I have it running on 32-bit XP.  Couldn't get it to install on XP-64.  I saw something in an inf file or something that leads me to think the installer checks the machine's architecture.  Whether or not it actually matters, I can't say.

eric

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,969 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

For certain versions of Windows 7, you can freely download and install Windows XP Mode with Virtual PC. Might just work.

That looks interesting.  Thanks for the tip.

eric

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,960 Views)

Something like VirtualBox OSE might work if you set up a Win XP virtual machine. I use one on my Ubuntu laptop for a couple XP-only applications.

You might run into problems getting devices to be seen though. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,950 Views)

You could also use VMWare to run both the older OS as well as the old LabVIEW. The area  I think you may have the most problems with would be any drivers for old hardware. Those may be impossible to locate or not even exist.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,941 Views)

@callanb wrote:

Something like VirtualBox OSE might work if you set up a Win XP virtual machine. I use one on my Ubuntu laptop for a couple XP-only applications.

You might run into problems getting devices to be seen though. 

Something not Windows-centric, nice.  Now if I can just sign onto their forum.

Thanks,

eric

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,899 Views)