From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

network variable on RT target

Hi:

I am using LabView 8.2 with RT module and the hardware is Compact Field Point cfp-2120. I have a question regarding the network variables.

1. I want to save (deploy) a network variable on the RT target and I want to access it (Read/Write) from an Host VI running on a PC which is on the same ethernet network as my RT target (CFP). This variable is required to be on the RT target and not on the PC.But the Host VI is not running all the time. User can run/stop the host VI any time. How can I implement this variable.

2. This question is not directly related to the network variables. Can I save a Tab Delimited Text File on the RT target (Compact Field Point). And if yes can I read/write/modify this file from a Host VI running on a PC which is on the same ethernet network as my RT target. What I am trying to achieve here is to save some parameters for my application in the text file on the RT target and want to access/modify those parameters from a PC at run time. And this PC is not running the Host VI all the time. Is there a way to achieve this.

I want to thank everyone in advance.

Thanks.

Kam  
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,465 Views)

Hi Kam,

There are many ways to do this, and this may be one of them- it may not be the most elegant but should work.  I would do something like this:  I would use network shared variables and deploy it on the RT target.  I would also have a case structure that is dependant if the host is actually writing to the variable.  If the host is offline (send a command to the RT target saying that the host has been turned off), I would deal accordingly in the case structure.  

Yes, you are able to save a tab delimited text file on the RT target.  You can modify this file from the host using shared variables.  In the host VI, you can write to a shared variable that is published to the target.  The target will read the shared variable and then write to the file. 

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Nadim
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,451 Views)