From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

network shared variables reconnecting network dropout

Solved!
Go to solution

I've got a cRIO unit communicating with a Laptop using Network Shared Variables, with one of them being a 21 index array that is buffered.

The system connects and communicates fine, but occassionally the wireless card in the laptop is losing the signal from the WAP attached to the cRIO.

When this happens the Network Shared Variables never "reconnect" and start receiving values again once the Wireless link is restored.  Is this an expected behavior?

When I tried using another industrial WAP instead of the laptop wireless card I do not get the drop-outs.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Senior Systems Analyst II
NASA Ames Research Center
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,275 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RVallieu

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for contacting National Instruments!  I have looked into the issue you are experiencing and wanted to ask you a few more questions.  First of all, do you have a time frame in which you allow for the reconnect?  I believe that the Shared Variables should regain connection after a short period but it will not necessarily be a very quick process.  It may take a few minutes for the Shared Variables to reconnect.

The other thing that may be happening is if you have error wires being passed through the Shared Variables, it is possible that the error is not being cleared and so it will always see the error and therefore never reconnect.  In this case you will have to filter this error out and then clear the error in order to utilize the shared variables again.

If you have any more specific information about your program that may help us determine the reason for this behavior.  Also a screenshot of your code would also be helpful.  Please let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to assist you.  I hope this helps!
Thanks!
Bob H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,254 Views)
Thanks for the answer.  I may not be waiting long enough then for them to reconnect and I will double check my error flow.
Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Senior Systems Analyst II
NASA Ames Research Center
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,242 Views)