LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help in making one change in an existing program; the person who wrote the program has since retired and I am clueless

Dear NI community,

I am currently using Labview 8.2 to record electrical signals from the eyes (retinas) of animals and humans with retinal disease for diagnostic purposes. My colleague, Michael Sandberg, originally purchased, installed, and wrote all of the necessary programs. We currently have a very important need to make one crucial change in the program (increase the duration of data acquisition from 200 msec to a duration 8 seconds). At present, I am only able to open the program in build mode and I can see all of the variables in the program flow chart but have no experience as to how to make any necessary changes. Can someone please help me with this!

Regards,

Basil Pawlyk, M.Sc.

Investigator

Mass Eye & Ear Infirmary

Harvard Medical School

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,745 Views)

It would be a lot easier to help if you uploaded the code. Also, have you looked at any of the training material?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,733 Views)

Hi Basil,

ist there no one in Harvard able to help you? Don't you have some departments dedicated to any kind of engineering (electrical, electronic s, measurements, physics) with staff trained in LabVIEW?

On the other hand: there is a subforum on job offers. What are you willing to pay?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,728 Views)

I might be able to help over the weekend.  Sight unseen, I can't guarantee success though.  LabVIEW 8.2 goes back more than a decade and it's possible the hardware goes back even farther and uses the legacy DAQ driver.

When DAQ duration changes from 0.200 sec to 8.0 sec, what else needs to change?  Is data written to file, is it displayed on a graph or chart, is post-processing done on it first?

Please zip up the folder containing all the code and describe a little more about how the program is supposed to operate, including any standard sequence of button pushes by the user.

-Kevin P

P.S.  Other answers came in before I finished.

GerdW makes a very good point.  My offer to take a look over the weekend is at best temporary, short-term help.  If the work you're doing *matters*, then the equipment and software you use also needs to be treated like it matters.

For the longer run, you should be making a succession plan.  On the equipment side, that's probably gonna mean a newer PC with a newer OS, newer DAQ device, newer version of LabVIEW and DAQmx driver that'll be compatible with the PC and DAQ device.  On the software side, you need to find a better solution for longer-term support when things come up.  A pretty safe approach is to use one of NI's "Alliance Partners" in your area -- they're likely to still be around for future needs, and they'll write code that'll be maintainable for years to come.

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,727 Views)