LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

national instruments update service has been disabled by your administrator

I am getting the following dialog when trying to run an update

"national instruments update service has been disabled by your administrator[...]"

How can I solve this without reinstalling?

Thanks 

ps: I need to update because I am running into the knwon issue 125525
Return The Interpolate 2D VI requires a square Z array
The Interpolate 2D array incorrectly requires a square 2D array as an input for the Z array, it did not require this in previous versions and now returns an error number of -20145 when executed with a non-square array.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(9,637 Views)

r.hermans,

If you open up NI License Manager (Start button>>All Programs>>National Instruments>>NI License Manager) and go to Options>>Preferences, do you have "Use Network License Servers" selected?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(9,627 Views)

Grant, thanks for your reply.

The answer is no, the option "Use Network License Servers" was not selected.

Which server should I put there?

Cheers,

RH

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(9,615 Views)

RH,

You don't need to change anything. I found another issue that appeared to be similar (same message) and the issue was the they were using a Volume Lincense Manager and it wasn't allowing the Update Service to run. They solved the issue by making sure that option was turned off.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(9,609 Views)

This doens't help either .  I still got the same errors!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(9,435 Views)

NVM .. I have enviromental variable set to some other software license manager . Removing it , things are working

Message 6 of 19
(9,434 Views)

Hello,

I get the exact same error message, on multiple computers in our group. We have Windows 7 32bit installed

(on some 64bit) and I got this error message with the plain installation ov LV 2011 (2009 still installed on the

same computers). The error def. occured on a 32 bit system I did not check the others yet.

We have the academic site license if that matters.

What can I do to enable the update service. The info posted in this thread here did not help so fat.

Olaf

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(9,350 Views)

It appears that the first thing the NI Update service does is validate your license. This means that IF you make use of the VLM, you will need to make sure that the computer doing the update can contact the license manager computer. IF you do not use a license manager, you likely will have to have internet access to validate you license against the NI servers.

In my case, I use VLM. When I was at home trying to run the update, I got this message. Once I started up my VPN, my computer could contact the VLM server and the update ran fine.

The short answer, if you are having network connectivity problems, the update service will not work properly. Instead of saying "cannot connect to update server" or something like that, the message is "administrator disabled the update service" which is kind of misleading. Check your settings and make sure you can either ping your license manager server, or browse the NI website depending on if you use VLM or not.

Hope this helps.

Taz

CyberTazer
Software Systems Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(9,295 Views)

We are using VLM for Labview and Multisim and have this problem - I tried to disable it but it doesn't help. So, the workstations running NI Software can see the license server and license can be validated - no problems. But we are unable to get any updates. We just get this message (national instruments update service has been disabled by your administrator...). On a freshly installed system which hasn't been connected to the license server yet this broblem is slightly different. On this system we can get updates for Labview, but not for Multisim (the message for Multisim update is that "This update requires a Standard Service Program subscription"). It looks like a catch 22: license server needs to be disconnected to be able to run update service, but it needs to be configured to be able to download a particular update.

What's wrong? Is it a bug in NI SW?

We are running NI SW (Fall 2011) on different platforms: WinXP SP3, Win7x32 and Win7x64

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(9,148 Views)

Hello,

I have the same problem.

We have Measurement Studio 2010 (Visual Studio 2010) using VLM.

If I select License, everything is fine (we are licensed for every products).

My personnal experience with National Instrument support was not really shinny.

You will probably loose a lots of your time to perhaps get your problem solve.

I really have to wish you good luck !

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(9,060 Views)