LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple rows of tab pages - stop jumping active tab row to bottom

hello,

i have a tab control which have 6 rows and 8 coloums of pages. if i select the 3rd row 5th page, that active page comes down to 6th row and does so for any active page its kind of confusing . instead how can i stop it from jumping down to bottom and just highlight or color the active page in its place. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,857 Views)

Tab controls don't have rows and columns!

Please attach your code so we can see what you actually have.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,844 Views)

When a tab control has more tabs than will fit in a single row across the top of the tab page, it creates additional rows of tabs. Clicking on a tab moves the corresponding page to the front - which it has to do. But it most annoyingly re-arranges the positions and locations of all the tabs.

While annoying, it is not clear how else the tabs could be managed and still clearly indicate which page is active.

Lynn

multiple tabs.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,837 Views)

/that is how "Tabs" work

I hate "Tabs"-- Did I ever mention that

http://forums.ni.com/t5/tag/IHateTabs/tg-p

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,814 Views)

If you reaaaalllllyyy  wanna affect the look of the tabs, hide the tabs and put a picture ring in its place that does what you want.  Have the tab control index into the picture ring so they stay synch'd.  Use coordinates of mouse down event on the ring control to figure out which tab got clicked on.  Painful, but doable.  Sucks if you want to add a tab or change the names.

I'm with Jeff.

Message 5 of 11
(3,796 Views)

ya, new pages are going to be added sometime.

may be making the page names same length might annoy less when activated so that it does not appear to be resizing  a lot, will give a try.

what are other alternatives to tabs in general?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,793 Views)

I'd use buttons and a subpanel, personally.  As flexible as you need it to be. Communication to the calling VI is overhead but worth it considering the ability to swap in new front panels easily without having to carve that tab's worth of code out of all the rest of it. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,786 Views)

@Zwired1 wrote:

If you reaaaalllllyyy  wanna affect the look of the tabs, hide the tabs and put a picture ring in its place ....  Sucks if you want to add a tab or change the names.

I'm with Jeff.

Yes, That would suck-  Use a custom radio button and sub-panels!  Sucks much less!  (Hint: Follow the tags)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,780 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

@Zwired1 wrote:

If you reaaaalllllyyy  wanna affect the look of the tabs, hide the tabs and put a picture ring in its place ....  Sucks if you want to add a tab or change the names.

I'm with Jeff.

Yes, That would suck-  Use a custom radio button and sub-panels!  Sucks much less!  (Hint: Follow the tags)

I was thinking Enum personally. 

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,749 Views)
I would prefer that too but users like tabs despite my despite

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,733 Views)