LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple instances of a cluster

Solved!
Go to solution
I am looking for a way of defining a cluster then cloning it as many times as required (up to 12). each cluster will contain information on a UUT (the uuts may be different from each other and will be defined in a config file), performance is critical in this application. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated Akiel
Please remember to accept any solutions and give kudos, Thanks

LV 8.6.1, LV2010,LV2011SP1, FPGA, Win7
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(2,551 Views)

Do you want to have a single cluster to have different UUT config values or different clusters?.. Please elaborate your question that would be helpful.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25
(2,550 Views)
thanks for quick reply, sorry the clusters need to be independent so i have 1 per UUT for the duration of the test thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(2,547 Views)

That still doesn't explain things. A cluster is a datatype. It's not an object. Maybe you're thinking of LVOOP (read the LabVIEW Help on this)?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
(2,545 Views)
I will look into LVOOP (from memory may hold the solution but Im not familiar with these methods) , I am using cluster as I have a group of variables of various data types that I want to keep together and a cluster is perfect for this. The problem i have is the most efficient way to create upto 12 instances of it thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(2,542 Views)

Given that you haven't described what you're actually putting into the cluster, I don't know how you can expect anybody to say whether it's "efficient" (definition still to be determined). For example, does the cluster datatype have huge 3D arrays of EXTs? Or does it have a string, some Booleans, and a few numbers? Or does it hold the contents of a 100MB binary file? You can be all over the map.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(2,538 Views)
the contents will strings and integers, about 20 or so items but all basic data types and no large datasets Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(2,532 Views)

You are not saying the "magic words" we want to hear so I'l throw out an idea for you to dismiss. Smiley Happy

Find one instance of teh cluster.

1) right-click adnavced customize

2) In the control editor change the drop down from "control" to type def.

3) Save the type definition.

4) Close the control editor and say yes when LV asks to replace the original with the type def.

5) Go through the rest of your code and replace the non-type-def'd with your new type def.

Any time you have to make changes to the data type edit the control type def and let it update all instances.

Now if you data type changes at run time... then you will ave to go to LVOOP.

Trying to help,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 8 of 25
(2,527 Views)

You can have a huge number of data inside a cluster and clusters of clusters but the basic question is:

For Eg. You have 10 elements in the cluster and you have 10 UUT so do you want to give these 10 values to your UUT's individually?.

Or try explaining bit more your actual scenario.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(2,524 Views)

I have a system containing 12 items that are similar but may have differences. I want to use the clusters to store information about each item so when i come to control the system I can act appropriatly according to this setup informstion. The data will include what signals are present, comms digital IO etc...

I would like each cluster to be specific to a UUT,

hope its a bit clearer

thanks for your time 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(2,520 Views)