LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving data from one excel spreadsheet to another.

Hello,  first off thank all of you for  you knowledge.  this forum is a amazing resource. 

My question I imagine is very simple.  I want to be able to pick threw column and rows in multiple pre-existing excel (.csv) spreadsheets and just pull the data I want and place it into a new excel spreadsheet.   is this doable?

It seems that I can do this with some of the report generation tools but so far I am stumped. 

Any help to this boring question would be appreciated.

-David

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,701 Views)

If you're working with CSV files only, you can do the whole thing using the Spreadsheet String functions and/or the Read/Write from Spreadsheet File VIs.

Is this the case? If you need to do it with excel file-types you will need to use the report gen toolkit.

There are many examples for doing both. If you want specific help, share the data and/or files and what you've tried so far.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

Message 2 of 5
(1,686 Views)

I guess what im asking for is this:

I would like  a vi that pulls data from any colum or row from more than one excel document.

Then I would like to put that pulled data into either another excel spreadsheet or a word document in a readable friendly manner. 

Are there any already made vi's for this? I sounds simple but I have a feeling it is not.

As always I'm humbled by the knowledge on this forum and thank  you for anyone who helps. You will get kudos!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,588 Views)

hpowel01 a écrit :

I guess what im asking for is this:

I would like  a vi that pulls data from any colum or row from more than one excel document.

Then I would like to put that pulled data into either another excel spreadsheet or a word document in a readable friendly manner. 

Are there any already made vi's for this? I sounds simple but I have a feeling it is not.

As always I'm humbled by the knowledge on this forum and thank  you for anyone who helps. You will get kudos!

A csv file is NOT and Excel type file (xlsx). It can be interpreted by Excel but it is a text file. As James said use Read Spreadsheet File.vi ( or Read Delimited Spreadsheet.vi if you have LV2015) to convert your files to 2D arrays. Then use the array functions to manipulate the data before saving it back to csv.

Ben64

--------------------------------------------------
The best way to say thanks is to give kudos!
Message 4 of 5
(1,578 Views)

Ok, thank you.

It does appear that the file(s) I am pulling data from are .xls

Could I use the report generation toolkit to grab specific rows and colums from multiple .xls files and put that data into a new file/report?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,520 Views)