LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving data from one excel spreadsheet to another.

Hello,  first off thank all of you for  you knowledge.  this forum is a amazing resource. 

My question I imagine is very simple.  I want to be able to pick threw column and rows in multiple pre-existing excel (.csv) spreadsheets and just pull the data I want and place it into a new excel spreadsheet.   is this doable?

It seems that I can do this with some of the report generation tools but so far I am stumped. 

Any help to this boring question would be appreciated.

-David

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,079 Views)

If you're working with CSV files only, you can do the whole thing using the Spreadsheet String functions and/or the Read/Write from Spreadsheet File VIs.

Is this the case? If you need to do it with excel file-types you will need to use the report gen toolkit.

There are many examples for doing both. If you want specific help, share the data and/or files and what you've tried so far.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

Message 2 of 5
(3,064 Views)

I guess what im asking for is this:

I would like  a vi that pulls data from any colum or row from more than one excel document.

Then I would like to put that pulled data into either another excel spreadsheet or a word document in a readable friendly manner. 

Are there any already made vi's for this? I sounds simple but I have a feeling it is not.

As always I'm humbled by the knowledge on this forum and thank  you for anyone who helps. You will get kudos!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,966 Views)

hpowel01 a écrit :

I guess what im asking for is this:

I would like  a vi that pulls data from any colum or row from more than one excel document.

Then I would like to put that pulled data into either another excel spreadsheet or a word document in a readable friendly manner. 

Are there any already made vi's for this? I sounds simple but I have a feeling it is not.

As always I'm humbled by the knowledge on this forum and thank  you for anyone who helps. You will get kudos!

A csv file is NOT and Excel type file (xlsx). It can be interpreted by Excel but it is a text file. As James said use Read Spreadsheet File.vi ( or Read Delimited Spreadsheet.vi if you have LV2015) to convert your files to 2D arrays. Then use the array functions to manipulate the data before saving it back to csv.

Ben64

Message 4 of 5
(2,956 Views)

Ok, thank you.

It does appear that the file(s) I am pulling data from are .xls

Could I use the report generation toolkit to grab specific rows and colums from multiple .xls files and put that data into a new file/report?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,898 Views)