LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving control to another splitter pane

Solved!
Go to solution

Is it possible to move a control to a different pane?

In other words, if a have one or more splitters on a screen can I move a control to another pane?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,595 Views)

What do you mean by splitters?

You can move a control using the property node and changing it position.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,594 Views)

@aeastet wrote:

What do you mean by splitters?

You can move a control using the property node and changing it position.

It's one of the container controls.  I recently upgraded from LV7.0 to LV2010 so I'm not sure when this container was introduced.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,592 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cosborne

Hi cosborne!

It sounds like you are using either a horizontal or vertical splitter on the front panel, is this right? Unfortunately the vertical and horizontal splitters are designed to isolate the two different sections of the front panel.  Because of that, you won't be able to programmatically change which part of the front panel the control is on while the program is running.  One option you do have is to create another control on the other side of the splitter and have that control update the value of the control on the other side of the splitter.  When you don't want that control visible, you can set it as such with a property node.

The position property can only move the control inside of the front panel that it currently exists in, so you won't be able to move the control between the two sections of the front panel.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,574 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

I was afraid of that.  It looks like the same rule applies to controls within a tab pane.

Once a control is "owned" by a container it cannot move to another container (at runtime).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,569 Views)

That is not completely true. If you make the control or indicator float over the tab control it will look like it is always there no matter what tab you are on. You can not drop it into the tab control you will have to drop it on the front panel and move it where you want it with the arrow keys. You will see a shadow if you do this but that is only there in the development environment. As soon as you hit run the shadow goes away.

Just a thought

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,563 Views)