LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

monitoring a heating system manually and automatically

using a case structure how do i monitor a heating system manually and automatically using temperatures from a demo VI?

In automatic mode the system will monitor the ambient temp and depending on the value will switch the heater on or not. the heater is switched on when the temp falls below the low temp setpoint. When the heater is switched on the system will add a value to the measured temp to show the temp rising, when the temp reaches the high temp setpoint the heater switches off.

In manual mode the heater will be on whenever the heater on/off switch is on. The system will monitor the heater on/off condition at all times.

The front panel should include:

- Indicators

• AC on/off
  • Heater on/off
  • Manual or Automatic operation
  • current temperature reading
  • Historical temperature reading (Chart)

- Controls

• AC on/off
    • Heater on/off
    • Manual or Automatic
    • Temperature setpoint control low- to switch heater on
    • Temperature setpoint control high- to switch heater off

-Coding

Use a case structure to control manual and automatic operation.

Use a case structure in decision making e.g. when deciding to switch heater on or off.

Message 1 of 7
(4,180 Views)

Hi S.Newman, 

I think what you need for your project is what is known as a Sate Machine. This allows you to swap between certain states of your system and do different tasks depending what state it is in. 

You can find a lot more information regarding this in our State Machine Tutorial

I hope that helps, 

Charlotte N. 

Message 2 of 7
(4,129 Views)

Hi S.Newman,

From you application description, I would also strongly recommend to implement the state machine architecture. Please take a look at this white paper Application Design Patterns: State Machines as well as the tutorial as provided by Charlotte.

Thanks,

GajanS

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,094 Views)

Did you ever get this to work?

can i see the VI 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,145 Views)

Hi Rebel75,

This thread is pretty old, so if you need help with something, you'll probably find it easier to create your own new thread.

That being said, the example problem being described is I think quite similar to a CLD example problem. You might have luck finding something similar in the sample exams thread: Sample Exam Solutions for Review. The current preparation document lists a Thermostat example - that might get you started.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,134 Views)

Good day all.

It's great having chances like this to get and render help across people. Appreciate that alot. 

Please, I've always loved to practically make this project(monitoring a heating system) on labVIEW, but the truth is, I don't know where and how to get this done.though I tried all my little ability but still not getting things to work out the way it should be.  Please if I could get help on this I will be most grateful. 

God bless. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,094 Views)

Hello Charlotte, hope you're good. 

I would desire something of you. 

Really, I love this (heat monitoring system) project, but the truth is, I dont know a single step to take so this project could be practically done on labVIEW. I sincerely wish you could be of assistance to me. I'll definitely appreciate you if you will because I believe you can. 

God bless.

Waiting to hear from you. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,092 Views)