From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

missing description and tips

Where are the description and tips located? I have several programs that are now missing the description and tips for controls and indicators. Is there a file associated with the VI that is misplaced that contains description and tip text?

Running LV 2012 Version 121.0f3 32 bit on Windows 7.

The descriptions and tips are missing for several programs, meaning days of work if I can't correct the problem. Not sure when it happened - after update, patch...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,644 Views)

What are you talking about?

The default text in the context help (ctrl+h)?

Or custom information in YOUR VI?

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,641 Views)

If you're talking about the descriptions and tips associated with your front panel controls and indicators, then these are embedded in the VI and not stored separately. I've not ever heard of these getting lost, or removed, so I would suspect something has happened with the target machine. Perhaps a Windows update? I know that tip strips were once no longer working following a particular .NET update, although that's a long time ago, and associated wtih non-NI software. But it demonstrates that the tip strips can appear to be absent when in fact it's Windows causing the issue.

If you upload one of your VIs here that is supposed to have descriptions etc., maybe we can confirm that the information is defintiely missing.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,636 Views)

It is not clear if the tips and descriptions were removed when updating/upgrading, or never entered... However, attached is a program created to view and edit the tips and descriptions. There is some room for improvement for multiline descriptions, as noted on the front panel. It is faster and easier to use than going in to each individually on a front panel.

It is designed to load all of the tips and descriptions, write edited t & d directly to the vi, and save to or read all of the t & d from a file.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,485 Views)

Hello Dekay,

I have a couple questions regarding your exact circumstances that will better able me to assist you:

1.  Are you experiencing this within the LabVIEW project or when running the project as a deployed application?
  2.  Are the descriptions and tips present when you try to edit them on the front panel?
  3.  Are the descriptions and tips visible when the program is running?

Thanks for the additional information.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,453 Views)