From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

merging data sets with different sample times

Hello,

I need to merge a few data sets together, they were taken from different DAQ systems, and have different time stamps (sampling rates) associated with them.  So, I'd like to put them all together in one file, but have the data points all spaced out correctly (just padding the data on the slower sample rate data).  Does LabVIEW have any tools for merging data like this?

much thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,458 Views)

LV doesn't have a complete tool for doing this sort of resampling, but it does provide all the functions necessary to build one. The two functions you will need are the ones for threshold (to calculate a fractional index of a point), and then interpolate (to calculate a new data value associated with that fractional index).

The basic process is called resampling a signal.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,453 Views)

Thank you, I will look into these.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,428 Views)

Actually, LabVIEW has several tools for resampling full waveforms.  Do a search for "resample" in the palettes.  I got three Express VIs and seven normal VIs (your mileage my vary depending upon what you have installed).  Use the one which best fits your needs.  You need to do three things:

1. Change the sample period so that it is the same for all waveforms (use the smaller period of your data sets)
  2. Shift the timestamps so that the points all line up (this is a subsample shift in time, resample will do this, as well)
  3. Pad the ends of waveforms so they are all the same length.  You can do this with build array or the waveform utilities.

Good luck.  Let us know if you run into issues.

Message 4 of 5
(3,409 Views)

Awesome, thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,394 Views)