From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

memory leak with web publishing (LV 8.6)

Hi

This is a project designed with 8.6 with many connected PCs (mostly Win XP) and lot's of features. One is the possibility to look at certain VI-frontpanels via a web-browser, using the .snap publishing.

Now it seems while monitoring the overall memory consumption (Win Task manager) that whenever I refresh image in the browser, the LV (or exe) builds up. More so if the frontpanel contains JPEG-decorations. At least so it seems, but the task manager is very crude.

I tried to re-enact the problem on a smaller scale, but could not get the same results. I am very confused.

What seems certain is that publishing VIs with large JEPEGs on the frontanel takes many many seconds. Here LV 2010 is much better. So  I'm afraid, that something is not cleared out while refreshing the image.

Has anybody run into a similar problem ?

Thanks, Gabi

7.1 -- 2013
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,240 Views)

That the Vis with big graphic files takes more time to update this is quite reasonable. Therefore NI advises to not overlap control or indicator with pictures and to set the picture as front panel backgrounds to minimize performance drawbacks.

But if i really well understood, you are seeing a memory/CPU increased consumption of the LV process when updting the browser form a client PC. Is it so?

I suppose that when you update the view on the client browser, a request will be sent to the LV Web Server on the server PC. This must handle the request and send the data for the updated view on the client. The more the elements on the fron panel increases in size, the bigger is the effort the server must do to send them.

Best regards.

Andrea P.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,174 Views)

Thanks for an answer.

Yes, and with more time I mean really more time. To test pick a background from the windows image repository an paste it to an otherwise empty front panel.

That would be the background you are taking of ?

Nothing else is happening in the Vi. Publish it (in LV 8.6.1) and you'll see what I mean.

It seems that NI is using some embedded third party webserver that has had some revisions since 8.6.1.

LV 2010 (I tested f4) is much friendlier here.

But yes, the main problem is that for every refresh of the image from the client the LV (or exe) builds up memory.

As a last resort I do now automatically restart  the application twice a day. Not a good solution for a 24/7 running program. 😉

Thanks again

Gabi

7.1 -- 2013
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,162 Views)

Hi Gabi,

for background picture I mean the one you set by right clicking on the right bottom corner of the front panel -> Properties and then Pane Properties.

Then you can choose a picture as background. This increases the performance when updating the FP of the VIs. Pls see the attached screeshot.

Best regards

Andrea P.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,144 Views)