LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

manipulate *.stl format in LV

Hi,

I am working on a project of measuring magnetic field around different objects (block, cylinder) with LV 2010. With gaussmeter I get a value of magnetic field, and with three motors a get position (x,y,z) of a probe of gaussmeter. Everthing is connected via rs232.

Objects are CAD models, so i import them as .stl format.

Now I want to represent magnetic field around these object in a 3D graph. And this is my problem.

I don't know how to transfer a .stl format in one labview friendly format, so i could manipulate with it.

I want to somehow overlay my CAD model and my CWPlot3D.

Is there any program that could do this?

I attached .vi and .stl.

Any help appreciated!

Thank you!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,275 Views)

The new version of the 3D graph (the one based on the 3D picture not he CW3D graph) can hanlde "*.wrl" files (I bleieve LV 8.6 or better).

Then you just* have to plot your data using the new 3D graph functions.

Ben

*"Just" is a four letter word.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,268 Views)

...alternatively...

The "*.wrl" file format is just text and you can find the description of the file format if you do a serach.

In it simplest form it list the object and then define the verticies and surface normals of all of the little triangles. You could pull in all of the vericies and plot them as a unique surface with what you have already.

Trying to help,

Ben

BTW: If this is going to be written up I would not mind you including a ref to the threads on the forum that helped you. I have seen more than one paper that used images similar to what can be found on the forums but never a citation.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,264 Views)

Hi,

You can also use sensor mapping vi.

Once you import your cad model, you can map the place on the 3D graph where you want to change the colour according to the measurement. This express VI allows you to configure DAQ channels but you can open the front panel and see if you can change and connect any array to it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,246 Views)

Thank you for posting this example.

I attached a picture, so u can see what comes out. It looks great, but it's not actually what I need. Problem is that i also have position of a value... As far as I understand this vi, I can't include position in arrays, I can just choose points manualy, by right clicking the model...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,237 Views)

Hi again,

i came up with the solution...

Now i get x, y and z vectors from .stl format.

If anybody will need a .vi is attached.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,217 Views)