LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

macOS Big Sur: Labview crashes on launch

Solved!
Go to solution

This did not work for two of my customers.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 39
(2,092 Views)

Can you provide the crash info (same kind as info as posted at the start of this thread)?

Are these customers using a LabVIEW-built app as opposed to LabVIEW itself?

If so, you need to replace "ni.com.labview" with the bundle identifier used when you built the app (the field is called "Internal Name" on the "Version Information" tab in the build spec).   If you didn't change it and used the default, it would be "com.company.MyApplication".

E.g.:

defaults write com.company.MyApplication NSGraphicsContextAllowOverRestore -bool YES

defaults write com.company.MyApplication NSViewAllowsRootLayerBacking -bool NO

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 39
(2,080 Views)

It is a built app with LV 20.0f1.

I have already set the Internal Name in my build spec, although the string has a space in it. I can easily remove that if necessary.

I am not sure what to put for 'company', though. Is there a way I can set that in the build spec or LV prefs? Or do I stick with NI?

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 39
(2,063 Views)
Here's the crash message.

Process: ClockLab Analysis [1018]
Path: /Users/Shared/*/ClockLab Analysis.app/Contents/MacOS/ClockLab Analysis
Identifier: ClockLab Analysis
Version: 1.0.0.154 (1.0.0)
Build Info: lvapp-300001~0
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: ClockLab Analysis [1018]
User ID: 504

Date/Time: 2020-11-29 14:09:15.074 -0800
OS Version: macOS 11.0.1 (20B50)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 2BB81ECB-2666-BF47-2A21-037AEAB41610

Time Awake Since Boot: 1400 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Illegal instruction: 4
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
Terminating Process: exc handler [1018]

Application Specific Information:
Attempt to pop an empty graphics context stack.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 39
(2,057 Views)

@FlatCat wrote:

am not sure what to put for 'company', though. Is there a way I can set that in the build spec or LV prefs? Or do I stick with NI?

You can put whatever you want for company; the full identifier is just used by the OS to track various settings associated with each app.  It just needs to be unique on the system.   It doesn't appear anywhere else in the build spec, it's purely a macOS thing.

I think having spaces in the identifier is okay, you just need to put quotes around it on the command line, e.g.:
  defaults write "com.FlatCatCo.ClockLab Analysis" ...

Your crash log confirms this is the same issue, so this solution will work provided the string you use when you build the app matches the string used on the two 'defaults' commands.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 39
(2,056 Views)

Do you know if this fix is works for LabVIEW executable applications built for Mac (that use the Runtime Engine). I haven't upgraded to Big Sur and I'm curious to hear from others who have taken the jump...

[Update] I see that while I was drafting my question, Craig has been answering just that question. I'm going to dig a little deeper into those suggestions...

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 39
(2,048 Views)

I recently updated my Macbook Pro to OS version 11.0.1 Big Sur. 

I purchased LabView Student Edition and received my thumbdrive installation. 

I performed install today, 30 November 2020 after updating my OS software two weeks ago. 

Similarly, LabView Crashes on startup. The provided workaround was successful! I am able to open LabView without it crashing. 

Thank you for your help and solution!

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 39
(2,019 Views)

Thanks for the fix, LabVIEW is now running well on my iMac with Big Sur.

One annoyance at the moment is that when editing the selection boxes are not shown. Items can be editing/selected/moved around, but you cannot tell which items are selected. You can draw a box to select multiple items on the front panel or block diagram but no selection box is shown. 

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 39
(2,000 Views)

@apg_air wrote:

One annoyance at the moment is that when editing the selection boxes are not shown. Items can be editing/selected/moved around, but you cannot tell which items are selected. You can draw a box to select multiple items on the front panel or block diagram but no selection box is shown. 

The second one of those two 'defaults' commands is supposed to fix this issue (the other one only fixes the crash on launch).

Please verify you entered it correctly.

defaults write com.ni.labview NSGraphicsContextAllowOverRestore -bool YES
defaults write com.ni.labview NSViewAllowsRootLayerBacking -bool NO

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 39
(1,964 Views)

I have not been able to get this to work with my built application. I tried modifying the two Terminal commands with my apps name, but my customer is still getting the same error messages. Here's what I used:

defaults write com.mycompany.myapp NSGraphicsContextAllowOverRestore -bool YES
defaults write com.mycompany.myapp NSViewAllowsRootLayerBacking -bool NO

Do these commands not have to be entered for the LabVIEW runtime?

David

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 39
(1,937 Views)