LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

local variable and top ribbon

Solved!
Go to solution

I copied a VI for controlling the Tek DSA8200 to handle the DSA8300. I assume that all the controls remain the same. 

The new DSA8300.VI is attached. Why does it show DSA8200 in the top ribbon of the front panel?

And when I search this VI for "8200", I find a local variable called "DSA8200.vi". How do I change that to "DSA8300.vi"?

I'm also attaching ScopeDialog.vi, because it is called by DSA8300.vi.

Thanks.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,132 Views)

efarr wrote:

The new DSA8300.VI is attached. Why does it show DSA8200 in the top ribbon of the front panel?

Somebody renamed the VI, but forgot to also change the customized windows title. Go to "VI properties...window appearance" and change the window title.

I don't see the local variable you mention. In fact it does not contain a single local variable. Also, local variables don't have names. They are named after their control. Can you be more specific what you actually mean?

DSA8200 is mentioned in the revision history that can also be found in the VI properties dialog.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,131 Views)

Thanks for the help. That fixed both problems.

FYI, the second problem could be found by going to the front panel of DSA8300.vi, and right clicking on the control in the upper left corner, named Scope Interface Selection. Select Find local variables. This used to jump to a purple box with label "DSA8200.vi".  But now it has been mysteriously re-labeled as "DSA8300.vi". I don't know why, but I like the result. If you could shed some light on why this happened, I could learn something. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,116 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author efarr

@efarr wrote:

If you could shed some light on why this happened, I could learn something. 

A local variable has the name of the control on it's face and that's all the information you ever need. If you right-click any local variable and show the label, the label will be the file name of the containing VI. Since you already changed the VI name, it already got changed to DSA8300.vi. Since this is redundant information, there is no need to ever show the label of a local variable.

I never showed a label of a local variable before, so this was new to me too. 😉

Message 4 of 4
(2,111 Views)