LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

llb in windows explorer is blank after system crashes

I had and LLB open under Window Explorer. I had a few vi's from that LLB opened. My PC crashed for some reason. Once it rebooted, i tried opening the LLB who's vi's I had open at the time of the PC crash, but there was nothing in it, no more vi's. I check the properties of the LLB and it said it had 5.22mb of data in it, but nothing appears. I hope some knows how to recover this, if it is recoverable. I had no back-up of this file, so that's why this sucks even more. Appreciate the comments.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(4,088 Views)

You might want to attach the llb to see if someone from NI can recover part of it. They've been able to in the past but there is no guarantee.

This is unfortunate and just proves the point that has been mentioned many time on the forum about saving work in an llb. It should never, ever be done because this is what can happen. Of course, regular backups are something that is recomended as well. Sorry I don't have a definite answer for you. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(4,077 Views)
We use LLB's because our software changes quite a bit and we dont want to break any previous program because of this continuous revamping. It's worked well, except for this, that has happened a couple of times before.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(4,072 Views)
Syna:

Please take a look at the attached llb. You may be able to use it to recover the files from your llb. I hope it works and let me know what you find.

Regards,

Rudi N.
Message 4 of 22
(4,054 Views)

Rudi, thanks for the decorrupter vi. I ran it and i got all but the main, top level vi, which is what i really needed to retrieve. This vi gave me the same vi's as the NI Tech Support did earlier today. Do you think that the top level vi get's lost when this happens, is it even recoverable. Let me know. Thanks again for the vi's, should come of use in the future.

Jorge

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(4,049 Views)
Jorge:

I am glad you were able to recover some of your VIs. I am not quire sure about why the top level VI was not recovered. I will keep looking at this isue. Let me know if you find something.
Thanks

Rudi N.

Message Edited by Rudi N on 11-17-2006 04:10 PM

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(4,035 Views)

@Syna wrote:
We use LLB's because our software changes quite a bit and we dont want to break any previous program because of this continuous revamping. It's worked well, except for this, that has happened a couple of times before.

You can convert the llb's into folders with exactly the same name (thus with the llb extension). This will leave your code intact. NI has done this with some of their code (search inside the labview folder for folders with an llb extension)

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(4,019 Views)
The same thing happened to me. I tried to run the decorruptor but nothing happens. The ouput folder is empty. Does this mean
the vi was unable to recover it?

Vedeja
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(3,968 Views)
Vedeja:

If you ran the de-corruptor and was not able to extract any VIs out of your LLB, it most likely means that the corruption for your LLB occurred in the header for the file so no data could be found. I apologize for the inconvenience but at this point your best option might be to re-build the VIs that were in this LLB file. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns on this issue.

Regards,

Rudi N.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(3,940 Views)

Happy at last!

I was able to recover my llb from the temp directory (Options\Paths) where it resided under
the name of 'tarc24805840.llb' yet of same size as my corrupted library. The file was intact
and everything up until my last change was there. Now I learned my lesson the hard way
and will never again utilize the llb for storing my vi's, nice as it may seem.

Thanks,
Vedeja

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(3,922 Views)