From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linear slide

What is the easiest way to control a linear slide with LabVIEW? 

Would the motor need to be a brushed motor so it could be controlled with a simple PWM circuit, using analog input from LabVIEW compact DAQ to control the speed?  

If the device uses an AC motor would I need to use their controller?

metzler CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,428 Views)

Hi Metzler,

I suggest to use the controller coming with the motor, independent of brushed or brushless…

Right now I prefer controllers supporting ModBus/TCP protocols.

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,396 Views)

Sorry, I don't have any experience with motors and drivers. Would LabVIEW then be able to trigger and control the direction of the motor controller?  

metzler CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,383 Views)

Hi metzler,

Sorry, I don't have any experience with motors and drivers.

Read the manual of those motor drivers to learn about their features…

Would LabVIEW then be able to trigger and control the direction of the motor controller?

As long as the motor driver supports those featueres: yes!

Your question is related to hardware features. When you need those features, then your hardware needs to support them…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,366 Views)

@metzler wrote:

What is the easiest way to control a linear slide with LabVIEW? 

Would the motor need to be a brushed motor so it could be controlled with a simple PWM circuit, using analog input from LabVIEW compact DAQ to control the speed?  

If the device uses an AC motor would I need to use their controller?

What type of slide? How do connect the motor? Needed speed?, position accuracy? ... feedback?  force? range?

DIY (cheap? , time consuming, skills? )

Buy ready product with LV driver and support?

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,355 Views)

The rest of the story:

I am having an automation company quote a machine.  The machine will have two actuators (possibly electric slides) and one ball screw linear slide,  possibly ESU electric belt driven base slide from PHD (https://www.phdinc.com/product/?product=linear-slides&series=esu).  

I need to make sure the LabVIEW can control the driver, at minimum control start and stop, and direction, assuming speed will be able to be one time programmed using ethernet or some other kind of communication to the driver - I am not planning on a permanent ethernet connection.  

If this isn't feasible, could I use the Ethernet/IP driver / toolkit for control? If I need to use Ethernet/IP, please point me in a direction to learn about it.

Thanks

metzler CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,346 Views)

What not to buy...

Spoiler
I have a customer that own a bunch of SCN5 actuators that they use for fatigue testing. They are fine if you just want to move from location 1 to location 2 and possibly start and stop the motion via a DO line from a LV app or a PLC. But in my case they wanted to change the motion based on the measurements acquired while testing a sample. And they needed to cycle quickly. Well those devise do talk RS-485 but they default to 9600 baud and there is nothing fast about 9600 baud. The baud rate can be changed but it has to be done via serial commands. Top that off with them having a mind of their own as to which baud rate they will talk at then add in the complicated "swing cat over your head" phase of the moon followed by a power cycle to realize the baud rate change. What should have been a one day effort at best turned into a week worth of poking and prodding to finally get it right.

So unless you are looking for trouble or do not need to control the motion dynamically, look elsewhere and your life will be more peaceful.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,339 Views)

Once the speed is set, it will not need to be changed.  The stroke will be 36", and will need to move in 2" increments.  Again, the 2" increments will not need to be changed.  Does this qualify as not controlling the device dynamically?  The SCN5 does sound similar to the actuator I was considering.

What kind of device would be better?

metzler CLAD
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,324 Views)

@metzler wrote:

Once the speed is set, it will not need to be changed.  The stroke will be 36", and will need to move in 2" increments.  Again, the 2" increments will not need to be changed.  Does this qualify as not controlling the device dynamically?  The SCN5 does sound similar to the actuator I was considering.

What kind of device would be better?

Then I suggest you look into those yourself.

They do support preprogrammed positions and expose digital control where 24V signals can select the desired position. I cannot say much more since my challenge was not that easy.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,322 Views)