LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

let's rock... altenbach...

With all respect, I provoking you... here you make some affirmations... 

"Exactly! I would strongly recommend that you don't post all these flawed and offtopic code images full of race condition, local variable overuse, generic labeling, deeply stacked sequences, value property overuse and Rube Goldberg constructs in general. It really has nothing to do with the topic of this thread and is thus not helpful. Yes, one can use a chart to only display the last 100 points, but here we also need to take the FFT of the last 100 points of data that streams forever and I don't think it is a good idea to read out the history data with each iteration."

here... https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Waveform-Graph-showing-entire-data-history/td-p/4146679/page/2

Speak / critics / academic words... well... sustain what you say. demonstrate that you are best that a guy that have nothing in comun with LabView and make this .vi in 3 weeks. you have 3 weeks to make it SIGNIFICANTLY BEST !!!  let see in what time a LabView guru it make this... better and... how better !!!

here you have the .vi... think that will be a copyright protected program, will be a comercial program, I risk and I sacrifice them, I'l put it here to see... how good are you.

xipxid_0-1619812189326.png

we do not speak about this sub routine... here you help me. for the moment I don't change it with your recommendations.

make you... a sinonim of this... in another way. be best that a greenhorn. 😉

let see you... I bet that you don't make it 30% better !!! I make this and I DON"T KNOW LABVIEW. you have a life... in... LabView.

LabView 2020 please (I love NXG look 😉 )

P.S. you need a .csv file... I edit the message and attach the.csv file

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 26
(1,958 Views)

Have a look at the Unofficial forum rules and guidelines: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Community-Documents/Unofficial-Forum-Rules-and-Guidelines/ta-p/3536495

There you will find a lot of good suggestions to get the help you want. Note that "egging on other forum members" is not one of the suggestions.

Message 2 of 26
(1,908 Views)

So, you're asking one of the best developers around to rewrite your program for free? 🙄

As for "30%" better... measured by what metric? Your opinion? 

I would argue that someone could easily make it "30% better" in just a few minutes by fixing any one of the many issues.  For example:

• Giving your controls / indicators meaningful names   BowenM_0-1619816561681.png

• Preventing your program from hammering your HDD by reading a file every loop iteration  BowenM_1-1619816585926.png

• Not hammering control property nodes every loop iteration BowenM_2-1619816639675.png

• And fixing... well, whatever it is you're doing here  BowenM_3-1619816763839.png

And, if someone wanted to spend an entire hour on this and convert it into a simple producer / consumer architecture with an event structure it would become a couple orders of magnitude better. Cramming everything into a single loop like you've done makes adding new features or even following the logic to debug something extremely difficult.

But hey, maybe your taunt will work! I personally don't think anyone is likely to be goaded into doing work for you for free.  Maybe if you were to make a friendly wager, as voted by the community here.

Message 3 of 26
(1,888 Views)

here is nothing about egging of no one... here is about theorems and demonstration. nothing more. all of us make affirmations... but... have no value without demonstrate that we have right. I give at altenbach the possibility to put value in what he say... from my point of view nothing bad in this.

the theorem are...

Exactly! I would strongly recommend that you don't post all these flawed and offtopic code images full of race condition, local variable overuse, generic labeling, deeply stacked sequences, value property overuse and Rube Goldberg constructs in general. It really has nothing to do with the topic of this thread and is thus not helpful. Yes, one can use a chart to only display the last 100 points, but here we also need to take the FFT of the last 100 points of data that streams forever and I don't think it is a good idea to read out the history data with each iteration. " from here https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/let-s-rock-altenbach/td-p/4146989

this affirmation / theorem must have value...  I ask it to demonstrate what it affirm. nothing more.

If this post not respect the forum rules, please inform me and erase them.

Best regards, Marcelo

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 26
(1,886 Views)

@BowenM wrote:

So, you're asking one of the best developers around to rewrite your program for free? 🙄

As for "30%" better... measured by what metric? Your opinion? 

I would argue that someone could easily make it "30% better" in just a few minutes by fixing any one of the many issues.  For example:

• Giving your controls / indicators meaningful names   BowenM_0-1619816561681.png

• Preventing your program from hammering your HDD by reading a file every loop iteration  BowenM_1-1619816585926.png

• Not hammering control property nodes every loop iteration BowenM_2-1619816639675.png

• And fixing... well, whatever it is you're doing here  BowenM_3-1619816763839.png

And, if someone wanted to spend an entire hour on this and convert it into a simple producer / consumer architecture with an event structure it would become a couple orders of magnitude better. Cramming everything into a single loop like you've done makes adding new features or even following the logic to debug something extremely difficult.

But hey, maybe your taunt will work! I personally don't think anyone is likely to be goaded into doing work for you for free.  Maybe if you were to make a friendly wager, as voted by the community here.

please... not elementary things... I specify that this .vi is not "polished", I just make it work... 😞 this things I have it on my list... I know it, I say it to altenbach that I know... this elementary things...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 26
(1,875 Views)

@xipxid wrote:

this affirmation / theorem must have value...  I ask it to demonstrate what it affirm. nothing more.

have you ever googled "altenbach+labview"?

https://sites.google.com/site/altenbach/labview-programs

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 26
(1,863 Views)

@BowenM

wait... you put here an... elementary absolute truth !!! "one of the best developer" !!! and a false affirmation "to rewrite your program for free" all in one proposition.

this part of program are far to be all program. my intention are to give an example for this community about how is made a piece of code by a "greenhorn" in comparation with "one of the best developer"

in this life... only the death is for free, I don't ask about nothing for free. and this... of course... for free 😉 I put it here... for free... this ideea ! if altenbach will want to colaborate... well... will be for free

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 26
(1,861 Views)

@alexderjuengere

I read more than you can imagine on this forum about more than you can imagine... I thank to altenbach for his help and I say that I was honored when we change some memories in another post.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 26
(1,853 Views)

@xipxid wrote:

Speak / critics / academic words... well... sustain what you say. demonstrate that you are best that a guy that have nothing in comun with LabView and make this .vi in 3 weeks. you have 3 weeks to make it SIGNIFICANTLY BEST !!!  let see in what time a LabView guru it make this... better and... how better !!!

Sorry, I have nothing to prove here. We can talk once you have almost 45k posts, 30k+ kudos and over 2000 solutions here in the forum.

Looking at your code, I would delete it, study the requirements document, and start from scratch. It is completely botched. And no, I would not do the work for you, because I don't get paid for it and you would get all the credit. And yes, I could make it orders of magnitude better and I would not need 3 weeks! Maybe 30 minutes. It would do the same more efficiently and with 20% of your code.

Some quick comments to get you started:

• Almost none of your terminals are wired and you do almost all of it with local variables. There is no reason for that. You seem to use front panel element as classic "variables" of text based code. In LabVIEW, the wire is the variable. And no, having disconnected terminal inside a deeply stacked sequence frame makes no sense. They could equally well sit outside the main loop.
  • If your radio button is on item1, you are burning 100% of one CPU core, reading the same file over and over as fast as the computer allows. How often does the file actually change?
  • Why would you need to read the radiobutton three times in parallel, twice vial local variables. can't you combine some of these case structures into one?
  • How many "disabled" diagram constant with the same value do you really need? One should be enough! You are allowed to branch a wire.
  • All property nodes that exist in both cases of a case structure belong after the case structure. Half the number of nodes!
  • Most likely your "Lastval reset" will occur first thing on a new iteration of the while loop. I assume you want it to happen as last item of the iteration. All four of your top-level case structures execute in parallel and there is no way to predict the order of execution.
  • You can probably eliminate all (or most) local variables by wiring the actual terminal in their place.
  • Give all controls and indicators reasonable name (Numeric 1 ...  Numeric N is NOT reasonable! etc.)
  • You don't need to convert a scalar to an array with one element to wire to a chart.
  • It is pointless to convert two scalars to an array followed by array to cluster (and you did not even correctly se the cluster size!). Just wire them to a bundle node instead. Half the code!
  • Same for the strings. Just wire to the terminal. No need for locals (image below)!
  • It is recommended to avoid excessive overlapping controls and indicators. Very taxing on the UI system.
  • Shouldn't your shift register be initialized?
  • No, tip strips don't need to be rewritten with every iteration of the loop. You can define them at edit time. No need for property nodes.
  • What's the point of interpolating twice in a row?
  • Most of your booleans (e.g.  sitting in frame 1 of the sequence) are never used anywhere. Why are they there? Future expansion? Your code will not scale well!

altenbach_1-1619819334698.png

Message 9 of 26
(1,847 Views)

Well... I bet and... I win... thank you very much altenbach, an honor and a real pleasure to meet you here.

As I tell you in another conversation, this is a part of a program, with almost a month ago I start to read about LabView, as I say, I'm in the big machine (tractors, harvesters, forestry machine etc.) electronic service side, when a  machine in Spain, France, Portugal have electric / electronic problems and official service (the official dealer or a service company) can't repair them it call me to go there and give a solution. I have almost no contact with software. I have friends that work in AI, microcontrollers etc. for Honeywell, for ex. Erixon etc. Together with 30 years ago we start our careers in various sides of electronics. All of them know, more or less to use LabView. I don't know. Well... I start a project that include hardware and software, the hardware is almost done, it is in alpha stage in tests, now I need the software. As you say "study the requirements document"... well the program that I need, don't have a "requirements document". What I try to do... is not a program, is a "visual requirements document". This are some... unusual approach for a software but what I want for this program not exist, I don't know what I need to ask / use in this program, I try to make a visual relational functions to see how it work, what I need (graphs, sliders, visual effects, open files, save files, buttons, measures, symbols etc.) for this reason in the vi is an entire disaster, for the moment I use variables, I hide temporary unused buttons on a stacked structure to not be on entire desktop and so on. I need to finish the hardware tests ( I use 2 infrared heaters to heat something, I need to finish the PCB, I need to implement data collection from sensors , cascade PID and so on in 2 microcontrollers etc.) What I need is a "visual requirements document". I can't, I have no knowledge to make a program. What I want is a... let say... a "visual model" for what I want, closest possible to future program. After that I have this "visual requirements document" I can ask a LabView profesional to made a program that I pay for it.

"Looking at your code, I would delete it, study the requirements document, and start from scratch. It is completely botched. And no, I would not do the work for you, because I don't get paid for it and you would get all the credit. And yes, I could make it orders of magnitude better and I would not need 3 weeks! Maybe 30 minutes. It would do the same more efficiently and with 20% of your code."

Here you say some truths but make some mistakes,  " I would not do the work for you, because I don't get paid for it and you would get all the credit.". Well this is a big mistake, when I ask for help (and I ask for help and you help me... with the clear graph) I respectuos thank you, If I ask somebody to work for me, is normal to pay his work because if somebody ask me to work... well... I ask to pay me.

I hope that you DO NOT UNDERSTSND that can be in LabView a comparation between me and you. Or... can be like an ant to an... elephant... if you want. Our jobs / specialties are completely different. About competition in LabView between us... well... is a non sense to speak about that.

All that I want was... catch your attention and... I catch it. What I want is to see a reaction from a professional LabView programmers about difficulty of this project and I see it. My conclusion about that is that this is a simple project for an LabView professional. Seems that my old best friend that help me (when is not coronavirus destroyed ;( ) have right with that.

Well... thank you again and best regards, Marcelo

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 26
(1,778 Views)