LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview what is happening with my wiring

Hello everyone

i am writing a program in labview 2015 and it very huge program with more than 100 of cases an loops.. the problem is when i go to a previously wired switch case for example i see a lot of wires moved .. i never choose auto clean up and i dont use Ctrl + mouse to extend the diagram.. but i don't understand why it drags the wires..

today i lost hours trying move the wires in lools again.. specially the wires between constants and array blocks..

how to stop this.. please help

i am writing this program for a company where i work and i should maintain a good look of the program for future improvements..

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,492 Views)

Hi MAJDGH,

very huge program with more than 100 of cases an loops..

I hope you don't put all them into just one VI!?

In case you do: modularize your program!

i should maintain a good look of the program for future improvements..

Modularize and document the code…

please help

As long as you don't attach VI(s) you will only get very generic comments on your generic question!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,477 Views)

my question is very clear.. thanks for your detailed help

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,471 Views)

@MAJDGH wrote:

and it very huge program with more than 100 of cases an loops

How many VIs are you using?  What general architecture(s) are you using?  Just from your description, you are probably not using a proper architecture for the problem and not modularizing with subVIs and libraries.

@MAJDGH wrote:

the problem is when i go to a previously wired switch case for example i see a lot of wires moved

Moving things such as tunnels can cause wires to move.  Otherwise, I have not seen what you are describing.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,468 Views)

If you want to do this on your own, without showing us your "very huge program with more than 100 of cases an(d) loops", then I recommend you purchase "The LabVIEW Style Book" by Peter Blume, read it cover to cover twice, and then approach your VI.  You'll need to pay attention, of course, to what Peter is trying to tell you ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,443 Views)

To answer the OP's question, the only other way that wires move is by holding shift while selecting wires. This will result in selecting multiple objects. Any subsequent move will of course move all the selected objects. Or, as Bob already pointed out, moving tunnels or shift registers will result in moving wires. Labview will auto kink wires in the middle, if the wires are aligned to the tunnels. If not, they will appear to go no where.

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,436 Views)

@Frozen -- thanks for making me re-read the OP's original question.

Depending on which version of LabVIEW you are running, and how it was "customized", it may be set to "Enable automatic wire routing".  I always turn this off when I install LabVIEW for myself or my colleagues, as I don't want an "algorithm" to decide to move my wires.

To check (and optionally change) this, open LabVIEW, click on the Tools menu, choose Options (should be last), choose Block Diagram, and scroll a little to Wiring.  Look at Enable Automatic Wire Routing, and set as you wish (I recommend "unchecked").  Note this is different from "Enable Auto Wiring", which is what happens when two functions get close to one another and a wire appears connecting them -- I leave this one "checked".

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,417 Views)

No the question is not clear. Can you show a picture of before/after the automatic moves? I assume this is just a cosmetic issue and the VI does not break.

Other ways things can rearrange automatically is by "automatic wire routing" and structure "auto grow". Also, if the diagram is way too big and gets near the boundaries of the allowed diagram size (diagram coordinates are I16), things can scramble and even become un-editable. If you go to "VI properties ...memory usage", what is the "compiled code complexity" metrics?

(Some others already commented on issues not directly related your question, but you seem to be dismissive and very happy with a unwieldy diagram. You really need to change that. Seriously!)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,414 Views)