LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview license switch from community into professional

Solved!
Go to solution

I have used my personal computer to try the newest version of labview at home with the community version, no problem.

These days I need to use labview 2021 for my work, for which I do now get a academic license from my university. The newly installed labview 2021 is still showing it is a community version.

My question is: is there a way to force labview to use the academic license instead of picking up the community license?

May be it is just not a problem, so far I just use my labview without problem for my professional work. Yes, the license has an issue, but NI cannot sue me since I have the license purchased even though labview does not use it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(1,468 Views)

@gy10c wrote:

I have used my personal computer to try the newest version of labview at home with the community version, no problem.

These days I need to use labview 2021 for my work, for which I do now get a academic license from my university. The newly installed labview 2021 is still showing it is a community version.

My question is: is there a way to force labview to use the academic license instead of picking up the community license?

May be it is just not a problem, so far I just use my labview without problem for my professional work. Yes, the license has an issue, but NI cannot sue me since I have the license purchased even though labview does not use it.

Thanks!

I wouldn't say, "Can't," but they probably wouldn't.  That being said, you can't just deactivate one and activate the other?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(1,463 Views)

If I understand your situation, you installed LabVIEW Community Edition on your (personal) computer and activated it as "Community Edition".  I believe that the Community Edition license stipulates that you cannot use it for commercial or academic purposes.

You now want to do academic work, and have access to an academic license, which would allow you to install LabVIEW 2021, and activate it with your Academic License.  That is precisely what you should do.  I do not know if the Community Edition installs in its own Program File Folder, separately from Community Edition (in which case you could install both on the same system, and two LabVIEW Icons on the Desktop, one for LabVIEW Academic, the other for LabVIEW Community.

Otherwise, to prevent violation of either the Academic or Community licenses, you should uninstall Community Edition, then install the Academic Edition, which you would need to activate with your Academic License.

What I've done is to create a VM (effectively another PC) on which I've installed Community Edition.  I do Community work on the VM, and "Professional" work on the PC hosting the VM.  One "machine", one LabVIEW license.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(1,451 Views)

This is a good idea to install academic version on local PC and community version on VM. Finally I may have to do this.

Seems like on my PC both the community and academic version use the same binary files and local files structure. The difference should be which license to use. I hope there is a easier way to switch the license.

Currently in my NI license manager, the community license is valid showing the labview is activated for both 2023 and 2021 version. The local license from my academic usage is also installed well. There is no way I can deactive any license, and there is no way for labview to choose a license as the user wanted.

Again I may end up uninstall everything and reinstall everything again just for the license.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(1,438 Views)

@gy10c wrote:

This is a good idea to install academic version on local PC and community version on VM. Finally I may have to do this.

Seems like on my PC both the community and academic version use the same binary files and local files structure. The difference should be which license to use. I hope there is a easier way to switch the license.

Currently in my NI license manager, the community license is valid showing the labview is activated for both 2023 and 2021 version. The local license from my academic usage is also installed well. There is no way I can deactive any license, and there is no way for labview to choose a license as the user wanted.

Again I may end up uninstall everything and reinstall everything again just for the license.

Do the two different versions have different licenses - e.g., LV 2021 = academic, LV 2023 = Community Edition?  If this is so, just use the appropriate version for each usage.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(1,418 Views)

I'm not sure if the Community licensed version is exactly the same binary as the Commercial licensed one. The licensing mechanisme certainly is not the same. They run on the NI side on different license servers and have different account databases that get used. That is one of the reason that you have to use the same account to activate the Community edition than with which you downloaded it.

So if you registered an installation as Community version it is not as simple as just changing the license. The license backend is different and the most simple solution is likely to completely uninstall the Community version and to reinstall the Commercial version and activate it with the correct license. I suppose that this was not intentional but at the time they made the decision to release a Community version they likely had the choice between changing the entire existing licensing system to allow for the addition of a Community license or tack on a separate licensing system for Community specifically. The fully integrated solution would have likely cost more time and have the huge potential to seriously hamper the licensing of the Commercial versions until all the changes had been implemented, tested, verified and fixed. You do not want to cause such interruption to paying customers just to make life for the non-paying customers a little easier!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(1,409 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

I'm not sure if the Community licensed version is exactly the same binary as the Commercial licensed one. The licensing mechanisme certainly is not the same. They run on the NI side on different license servers and have different account databases that get used. That is one of the reason that you have to use the same account to activate the Community edition than with which you downloaded it.

So if you registered an installation as Community version it is not as simple as just changing the license. The license backend is different and the most simple solution is likely to completely uninstall the Community version and to reinstall the Commercial version and activate it with the correct license. I suppose that this was not intentional but at the time they made the decision to release a Community version they likely had the choice between changing the entire existing licensing system to allow for the addition of a Community license or tack on a separate licensing system for Community specifically. The fully integrated solution would have likely cost more time and have the huge potential to seriously hamper the licensing of the Commercial versions until all the changes had been implemented, tested, verified and fixed. You do not want to cause such interruption to paying customers just to make life for the non-paying customers a little easier!

I only ever installed LV Community Edition on my computer and it says I can activate LV Pro.  It says it is available for eval.  However, I don't feel like potentially messing up the LV Community Edition licensing by uninstalling it and seeing if I can use LV Pro eval.  I had enough of a hard time licensing LV Community Edition the first time around.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(1,402 Views)

@billko wrote:

I only ever installed LV Community Edition on my computer and it says I can activate LV Pro.  It says it is available for eval.  However, I don't feel like potentially messing up the LV Community Edition licensing by uninstalling it and seeing if I can use LV Pro eval.  I had enough of a hard time licensing LV Community Edition the first time around.

Yes the Community Edition license activation seems a bit troubled. The entire mechanisme isn't very transparent and consistent, so it is very easy to get it wrong if you take the wrong door first. Proper license activation is unfortunately quite a difficult problem to solve in any software, and there are many systems that all need to work together completely seamlessly before it works without trouble for the end user. The Community Edition being for free, makes it of course additionally hard to justify extra efforts to fix a process that is not always broken for everybody. It tends to make those support tickets keep moving to the end of the line of open items to fix.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 8 of 11
(1,399 Views)

I am not sure if the Community Edition and other editions have the same binary. You can try to move LabVIEW_COM_PKG_220300.lc away from the C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\License Manager\Licenses and see if the Education edition is loaded instead. 

Remember to move the file but not remove it.

-------------------------------------------------------
Control Lead | Intelline Inc
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(1,375 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author gy10c

I have uninstall everything from NI and install labview academic version. Without even need to import a license, labview automatically find the license previous imported into NI license manager (the academic one).

Thanks everyone for ideas! Here is a summary of what I have learned.

1. It is not quite clear whether labview community version and professional version share the same binary files. It is not clear if there is a way to switch from community license into academic license or professional license. Seems like no way yet.

2. people may try

move LabVIEW_COM_PKG_220300.lc away from the C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\License Manager\Licenses and see if the Education edition is loaded instead. 

Remember to move the file but not remove it.

3. or try download a academic version of installer and install labview. not sure.

4. to enjoy both versions, try VM

Message 10 of 11
(1,355 Views)