LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview embedded module for arm problem building FW on evaluation version...

Hi all,

I just loaded the labview embedded module for arm. I already have Labview 2010 service pack 1 installed. I'm trying to validate whether I can get this running by just trying to get the simple vi in the instructions to run in debug mode. When I tried building the FW I got the following error; Program Size: Code=25392 RO-data=1448 RW-data=1348 ZI-data=11756  ".\Obj\LabVIEW.axf" - 0 Error(s), 0 Warning(s).

If I hit the Run button again on the VI after the above failure, some FW is downloaded onto the ARM, says it's Running on the target for a second, then says it stopped at 0x00002212, among other stopping points I've seen so far. Just mentioned this part in case it helps, but this part is probably happening due to the fact that there was a FW build issue.

I have not licensed the Keil uvision SW, because this is for evaluation only and I'm checking to see whether I'm going to buy the full version. As far as the instructions say, I should be able to at least create the simple vi shown in the instruction manual.

Another quick question is that I'm interested in the SW to work on the TI ARM chip PN LM3S9B96. I just noticed a thread on the TI site stating the only the LM3S8962 works with this SW. If anyone has definitive answers on this, please let me know. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,487 Views)

I'll try to address all of your questions.

The LabVIEW Embedded Module for ARM will work with a LM3S9B96. It will be considered a Tier 2 device and will require some additional configurations. In this DeveloperZone, it lists the differences between Tier1 and Tier2 devices and has a link for all support Keil devices and for using  Tier2 ARM device with the embedded module.

As for the errors you are seeing, are you following a tutorial of any kind? Can you direct me to the simple VI you are trying to deploy? When you attempt to deploy this code, can you capture screenshots of the error?

You do not need to activate the Keil uVision software as it will run in Evaluation mode. So there must be something else occurring. Are you using this module with the LM3S8692 or another eval board?

Stephanie A.
Americas Marketing Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,462 Views)

Stephanie,

I've attached a screenshot with the vi and it's block diagram in view. Also, you can see the error when the C code is attempting to compile. I am using the eval board LM3S8962, which came with the Labview embedded module SW.

The tutorial I am following is the one in the booklet that came with the embedded module SW. This booklet is in PDF form somewhere on your site as well, sorry i dont have the link for it, but think it's under the main window for this SW.

Let me know if you see any obvious issues or have any other questions for me, because i'd really like to get this working soon. Thanks.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,459 Views)

That VI looks like it's mine. I found the tutorial and created and deployed the exact same VI to the LM3S8962 board without any build errors. The error itself isn't too helpful on my end, so the next questions I have:

1. Is the Power LED lit up? It's located next to the ethernet connection? If not, do you have both the ULINK2 and USB cable connected to the LM3S8962?

2. Did you save your project and create a build specification application? If you created a build specification did you change anything?

Stephanie A.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,445 Views)

Stephanie,

I agree, the error message is no good at all. Maybe you can put in a word to this team to improve the error messages or give a list that describes this error.

Regarding your two questions, here are the answers:

1. The Power LED on the Eval Board, reference designator value of LED3, is ON. I do have the Ulink2 20-pin JTAG cable connected to the eval board. USB cable connected to the Ulink2 and another USB cable connected to the eval board, which has the LM3S8962 on it
  2. I did save the project and the build specification application was created automatically. I left all of the values default. I'm attaching screen captures of each tab of the applications properties to see if they match yours

I will have to post the screenshots in 3 different posts, since there's a 3 file limit.

Thanks

Jorge S.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,441 Views)

Screenshots for above post. One more screenshot after this post, but not sure how helpfull it will be.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,440 Views)

There were actually 2 screenshots left...

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,439 Views)

I got the code to build. I was also able to enable LED1 via an ARM GPIO. I put the project on my C: drive instead of our network drive, so not sure why that was a problem. Could you find out whether i can build FW for vi's in a network drive? If so, it mightjust be that the Keil has a setting to allow certain drive letters. Hope you can help, thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,434 Views)

To my knowledge, you cannot deploy code from a network drive for any real-time target in a LabVIEW project. The project should reside on the host computer.

Stephanie A.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,423 Views)