cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview crash

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there,

Recently, I come across a Labview crashing problem. Previously, it happens around once in a month, but in the past two weeks, it happened twice. The LabView VI needs to run for 28 hours to record data for one experiment. The crush usually happen at 3 am, and the time I start to do the measurement is 14:00 pm (the day before crashing). By the time I went to lab at around 9 am, I cannot see any error message. Just all the softwares I opened were closed, and the computer went to sleep mode. Does anyone have any idea about what's going on here? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,096 Views)

@simimasa wrote:

Hi there,

Recently, I come across a Labview crashing problem. Previously, it happens around once in a month, but in the past two weeks, it happened twice. The LabView VI needs to run for 28 hours to record data for one experiment. The crush usually happen at 3 am, and the time I start to do the measurement is 14:00 pm (the day before crashing). By the time I went to lab at around 9 am, I cannot see any error message. Just all the softwares I opened were closed, and the computer went to sleep mode. Does anyone have any idea about what's going on here? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If there was no error message, how do you know it crashed?  Maybe the software just exited as it was told to do.  (Whether or not you intended it to do so is an entirely different thing.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,066 Views)
Solution
Accepted by simimasa

There are probably more reasonable explanations

Maybe there was a power failure at 3am and the computer rebooted?

Maybe there was an automatic windows update and the computer rebooted. Make sure to configure windows update to not automatically install updates.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,059 Views)

What are you doing with a standard power management setting?  a high performance power profile should never go to sleep mode.  Check your power management settings! 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,045 Views)

Thank you for the reply,. The problem turns out to be that Windows automatically update everyday at 3 am, which reboots the system and stops the data recording of labview.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 11
(3,998 Views)

@simimasa wrote:

Thank you for the reply,. The problem turns out to be that Windows automatically update everyday at 3 am, which reboots the system and stops the data recording of labview.

Thanks!

No problem!  (Dratted OS'sSmiley Frustrated) and those IT weenies always mess with your LabVIEW mojo! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
(3,992 Views)

On a similar topic.  I am running LabView 8.6 under XP.  I have used the same program for 7 years and it has ran flawlessly.  The computer died and I substituted a nearly identical computer.  Now there is some computer setting (I think) that is causing my problem.

With the new computer and the same LabView files and hardware, I get and error "Not enough memory to complete this operation" after 4 hours and 19 minutes.  This has happened seven times, writing to the disk at different rates.  It is not related to time of day like the previous post.  I changed the virtual memory setting from 2k min and 4k max, to 4k min and 8k max, then allowed Windows to manage virtual memory - all having no effect (the NI documentation suggested doing this).  The computer has over 3 GB of RAM, so it does not seem that this can be an issue (the dead computer had the same)

When it crashes, Labview continues to control the equipment.  If there is a temperature ramp and hold, it ramps and holds with control signals (analog) coming from LabView.  So Labview is not crashing completely.  I cannot access the Labview screen because that part of the computer won't work.  Ending the LabView task causes one more line of data to be written with the current time and other data.

I wrote the VI s for this a long time ago (with some professional help) and I don't want to mess with them because they have worked well and I have not looked at Labview programming for 8 years.  In other words, I have minimal LabView skills at this point.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,672 Views)

I don't see how LabVIEW can crash and also still be controlling a process.  That's impossible.  Perhaps what is happening is that whatever the last analog output that was written from the DAQ device remains as the voltage being out.

Take a look at windows memory in task manager to see if it is growoing continuously.  Perhaps you have an ever growing away.  Perhaps a resource is being openly repeatedly in a loop and nnver closed.  (I saw that with a DAQmx task one time.)  Has it happened multiple times after 4 hours 19 minutes?  That leads me to believe it is one of the things I mentioned because it is happening a set number of times at a consistent rate.  Now why that never happened before, it's hard to say.  Also look at queues growing.  Perhaps there is an error under the new setup that prevents the loop that would dequeue the data from executing or keeping up with the data being enqueued.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,663 Views)

Thank you.  I will check memory in the task manager.

I had said Labview is partially crashing which may not have made sense.  There are no screen updates, there is no disk writing, and the keyboard and mouse cannot access LabView.  The control signal is a remote input to a controller, so I can see that it is updating correctly.  So something in LabView is still running (and saving my hide, I might add).  I think the memory message is coming from Windows.

I have not changed the LabView code or NI hardware, only the computer, so I don't suspect a loop.  If I was more current on LabView, I would try tracing in the block diagram, but I'm very rusty.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,655 Views)

Disable Aero themes.  Posting via mobile.  But, trust me.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,651 Views)