From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview close whem I open a project

Hello,

I am working in a  LabView project for some months.

Last Friday, Whem I was working on a new feature, LabView crash and close (it's normal to happened), but now when I try to open this project or another one the Labview software close immediately and I cannot open it.

I don't have problems to just open a simple subVI using a "file->open" menu, but I can't open my project (file->Open project) in my computer. 

I make a copy of this project and I try to open it in other computer and it works fine, so the problem is in my computer.

I try to remove LabView Software e install it again yesterday but the problem still happen.

What can I do? I lost two days trying to make it works, but I didn't have success and I'm late on my project.

Thanks in advance

SB
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,005 Views)
Looks like the file alone is corrupted? Any results on scan?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,002 Views)

Hello,

What version of LabVIEW are you using?

Does this error happen when you open any VI or only when you try to open a project?

Regards

Luciano Borges

National Instruments Brazil

Luciano Borges
Test Development Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,968 Views)

sbencke wrote:

LabView crash and close (it's normal to happened)

Actually, that's not normal..  Something is wrong..  somewhere...

sbencke wrote:

when I try to open this project or another one the Labview software close immediately and I cannot open it.

It appears to be a global problem and not directly related to your project.  Which is good and confirmed by the following:

sbencke wrote:

I make a copy of this project and I try to open it in other computer and it works fine

Now to the root cause...

sbencke wrote:

>>>>so the problem is in my computer. <<<<

I try to remove LabView Software e install it again yesterday but the problem still happen.

Yes, it does appear that the problem is the computer.  Especially since you've already re-installed LabVIEW and that the same code is fine when using another machine.

Although I suspect you are running Windows.  Probably XP or VISTA..  I will still ask the question:

What OS are you using?  Which version of LabVIEW are you running?   When running the project on the other computer, does the other machine run the same version (installation) as the machine giving you problems?

The problem seems to point to the OS. Or some sort of corruption within that PC

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,963 Views)

Well, I'm using Win XP - SP2 and I'm using LabView Version 8.

The problem is not in my project because I test it in another computer and it works fine.

Yesterday, I uninstall Labview again and them I use a special program to remove all references of LabView in the Windows register and so on. After that I install LabView. 

After this steps, I can open my project without problems, but I'm having another crazy behavior. When I try to open the Controls/Function Palette  using the menu or the right button of the mouse, LabView hung and close.

I think I will have to format my computer and reinstall my Win  Smiley Sad and ALL MY PROGRAMS, so this is a terrible solution. 

Somebody has some idea ?

Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,951 Views)

sbencke wrote:

Well, I'm using Win XP - SP2 and I'm using LabView Version 8.

The problem is not in my project because I test it in another computer and it works fine.

Yesterday, I uninstall Labview again and them I use a special program to remove all references of LabView in the Windows register and so on. After that I install LabView. 

After this steps, I can open my project without problems, but I'm having another crazy behavior. When I try to open the Controls/Function Palette  using the menu or the right button of the mouse, LabView hung and close.

I think I will have to format my computer and reinstall my Win  Smiley Sad and ALL MY PROGRAMS, so this is a terrible solution. 

Somebody has some idea ?

Thanks in advance. 

Hmmm. this sounds a lot like the behavior I noticed three weeks ago on my PC at work.  LabVIEW (8.6.1 and 9.0) crashing when loading palettes (I load mine on launch.)  I also had trouble with MS Office and a few other apps running verry slowly.  IT investigated and determined it was some undefined malware on my PC that snuck by our firewall on an attachment recieved from a co-worker in Shanghai.   One other machine was hit at the same time so guessing the suspected cause was a process of comparing likely causes that were common between the PCs.  We wound up reimaging both machines and I wound up rebuilding everything!  Good luck

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 6 of 12
(4,936 Views)

Unfortunately, Jeff's explanation does sound right.

I've had a similar experience a while back.  I noticed a feww applications acting up and shutting down for no reason.   If you look at the processes in the Windoze Task Manager, you may find some obscure entity.  That's how I found the culprit.  Even after searching and hunting it down, it would morph itself with a new identity, so I ended up re-building the PC from scratch 😠 

That's when I invested in Norton Ghost.  And make LOTS of backups (after the installation of any application).  That way, you can restore everything easily in the future.  And keep your files in a separate partition.  I separate the OS from Applications and Files are on their own.  A 4th partition (or other drive - usually) contains backups.

Message 7 of 12
(4,924 Views)

Ray.R wrote:

Unfortunately, Jeff's explanation does sound right.

I've had a similar experience a while back.  I noticed a feww applications acting up and shutting down for no reason.   If you look at the processes in the Windoze Task Manager, you may find some obscure entity.  That's how I found the culprit.  Even after searching and hunting it down, it would morph itself with a new identity, so I ended up re-building the PC from scratch 😠 

That's when I invested in Norton Ghost.  And make LOTS of backups (after the installation of any application).  That way, you can restore everything easily in the future.  And keep your files in a separate partition.  I separate the OS from Applications and Files are on their own.  A 4th partition (or other drive - usually) contains backups.

All great Ideas Ray! Smiley Happy

Remember to back-up your LabVIEW.ini files firstSmiley Wink I forgot this and it made me very grumpy for a few days Smiley Mad

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 8 of 12
(4,914 Views)

I keep forgetting to backup the LabVIEW.ini files..

Thanks for reminding me..  🙂

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,895 Views)

I am having the same problem. Labview crashes when i open any project window. I Think

this problem started arising after i visited some unfamiliar websites. Not only labview, some

other applications are behaving erratically. Ran all the anti-virus softwares , but even after

cleaning the virus, the problem is still present.

Great help if someone knows how to fix this problem without formatting windows! 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,636 Views)