LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keeping options on update

Am I doing something wrong, or installing LV version N on a machine that already has LV N-1, resets all options to default values?

It's a bit tiring having to go back and reset all OLD options to preferred values.

Maybe this happens because I install LV N and uninstall LV N-1 before running LV N, but ...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(2,798 Views)

What do you mean by the "options"?  Are you talking about different LabVIEW enviroment settings?

You can copy your LabVIEW .ini from the previous LabVIEW version to your new LabVIEW version.

You may want to kudo this idea. New LabVIEW Installation Retains Options

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(2,782 Views)

What do you mean by the "options"?  Are you talking about different LabVIEW enviroment settings?

You can copy your LabVIEW .ini from the previous LabVIEW version to your new LabVIEW version.

You may want to kudo this idea. New LabVIEW Installation Retains Options

The options one can set by pulling down tools/options.  It's labeled options not settings, thus I call them options.

Not sure where the .ini is.  Maybe it is gone

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(2,769 Views)

The .ini file is in C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW XXXX where XXXX is your LabVIEW version.  Copy it from the old LabVIEW version directory to the new version directory.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(2,763 Views)

Hopefully all old options will be there.  A bit amazed that the install doesn't copy common options over to the new install, default the new ones, delete the obsolete ones...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(2,754 Views)

You still haven't kudoed that idea.  You added a message, yet you failed to click the kudo button to add your vote.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(2,740 Views)

Also just remember that a new LabVIEW version is not a update of the old version.
You can have multiple versions installed together.

They will not be installed in the same folder.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(2,737 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

You still haven't kudoed that idea.  You added a message, yet you failed to click the kudo button to add your vote.

I looked for a place to kudo it and couldn't find it.  I just did it now, totally by accident, as I was just thinking that clicking on where I clicked was going to give me a list of who already kudo it. Not obvious at all.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(2,726 Views)

@dkfire wrote:

Also just remember that a new LabVIEW version is not a update of the old version.
You can have multiple versions installed together.

They will not be installed in the same folder.

Technically you're correct, but that's not a good reason not to import the old settings. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(2,722 Views)

I agree with that.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(2,720 Views)