LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ivi driver property node: broken wire to _defaultpropname_ property node.

Hi,

I am using an IVI driver example. It includes a property node to set a property with a Boolean.  On one PC the example opens with a broken wire from a Boolean to the property, and there are no selectable properties, only a grayed out nondescript _defaultpropname_.  

Yet on another PC, the property node is "alive" , the wire from the Boolean is good, and I could choose other properties as I would expect.

The property node has the correct name of the instrument at the top.

The main difference is that working system actually has the instrument attached, but not sure what that would do, especially when we are looking in development mode, no running.

Does anyone have an idea as to why the property node is broken?  

The property node is connected directly to the init.vi for the IVI driver.  BTW, the IVI driver is just a wrapper for a dll.

Thanks,

-------
Mark Ramsdale
-------
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,642 Views)

Hello Mark,

Where can I download those IVI drivers? Having the code would be very helpful to determine what could be causing that behavior.

Regards,

Jorge Fernandez
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer (CLAD)

Jorge
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
(3,610 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for thhe reply, I have made some progress.

I uninstalled the vendors IVI "stuff" and re-installed.  They have a two step procedure, there is an intermediary installation and the the IVI installation.  It is a bit confusing, but two installs in order.

I did this because I was trying to link the property node in circuit, but the IVI catagory was greyed out, but when I made a copy of the IVI out of circuit I could see the IVI class catagory but this instruments IVI was not there.

When I re-installed my property node was fixed, and I was able to make copies and go to any of this instruments IVI properties.  So Good.

However, the re-install put a new set of the labVIEW VI's on my laptop, I had them install in the C drive (rather than the instrument folder).  This new set of VI's can't see the IVI class, they have the same initial problem.

I have attached two png's.  One shows that I can't select any class for the property node in the crcuit.  The other shows how making a copy of the node allows me to select classes, but that the IVI doesn't have my instrument (KE6485)

-------
Mark Ramsdale
-------
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,603 Views)

P.S.  FOr the Keithley  6485

1st install: I/O layer

http://www.keithley.com/support/data?asset=52766

2nd install; Driver

http://www.keithley.com/support/data?asset=10427

-------
Mark Ramsdale
-------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,602 Views)

Hello Mark,

I downloaded the drivers and opened the example that you are using and I am not experiencing those issues that you mentioned. You mentioned that you installed the drivers in C: and not in the instrument folder, and I think that´s why you are not able to see the KE6485 in your IVI classes. The drivers should be installed in the instr.lib folder, which is located in this directory: C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2011\instr.lib. I would suggest you to install them in that folder, which should be the default installation folder anyways.

Also, the fact that the Select Class option is grayed out is expected when the reference input of the property node is wired to a VI, because the VI that it is wired to will determine what class can be used for it. You will notice that if you remove the reference input wire, then the Select Class option will be available.

Regards.

Jorge
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
(3,578 Views)