LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is there a way to binary diff executables built with the application builder?

I'm looking for a way to rebuild LabVIEW applications with the application builder and have them match using a diff tool. Our company likes to recompile SW right before release and since the application builder produces a build that won't diff with what's been tested, we have to retest at the end since its a different department recompiling SW for release which I'd like to avoid. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Adam

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,645 Views)

@adamol2 wrote:

I'm looking for a way to rebuild LabVIEW applications with the application builder and have them match using a diff tool. Our company likes to recompile SW right before release and since the application builder produces a build that won't diff with what's been tested, we have to retest at the end since its a different department recompiling SW for release which I'd like to avoid. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Adam

My thoughts are:

You'll never have an identical build.  I'm not sure you can end up with an identical build in any progamming language.  To me, rebuilding software right before release is an unnecessary, and even dangerous, step.  Your company recognizes the risk by having you retest the software, but why introduce unnecessary churn?  It's like rebuilding a car's engine right before shipping.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,602 Views)

One thought is to do a pre- or post-build action VI that exports all of the revs (like you see in VI props>>revision) for the discrete VI's in the project .  You can set it to increment the rev every time the VI is saved. If the revs are the same you know nothing has changed but if they're different you won't know if the thing that's changed is significant. 

Another thought is maybe TortoiseSVN or similar could keep track of what's-changed-and-why for you but I've never use it.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,584 Views)

@Zwired1 wrote:

One thought is to do a pre- or post-build action VI that exports all of the revs (like you see in VI props>>revision) for the discrete VI's in the project .  You can set it to increment the rev every time the VI is saved. If the revs are the same you know nothing has changed but if they're different you won't know if the thing that's changed is significant. 

Another thought is maybe TortoiseSVN or similar could keep track of what's-changed-and-why for you but I've never use it.  

While that would serve the purpose of showing that the source hasn't changed (although I'm not so sure that relying onrev numbers is the best way to go about it - CRC check per file is probably better), it still doesn't gurantee that the build works.

I just think that the whole process probably burns up several thousand dollars worth of unnecessary testing, V&V and paperwork.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,572 Views)

Agreed on all counts. 

It's weird, 'cause in the past QA has always been known for being the most logical, cost effective organization.....

Message 5 of 5
(2,558 Views)