From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it worth it to make custom icons for a custom control/indicator?

Solved!
Go to solution

I was making custom icons (well not very custom, but still at least somet ext) for controls and indicators, when I realized that the only times you see them are when you open the control, itself, ot if you hover over it in the project with context help on.

So the question is:

Is it worth it to create a custom icon for each custom control you make, if it will be seen only rarely?  (The exception being a cluster, since, in the later versions of LabVIEW, you can actually represent your cluster on the BD as the icon you made for it, so it definitely IS worth it to make an icon for it.)

Thanks!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,528 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author billko

You said it correctly, not very frequently (I'll not say RARELY) we see the icons for a custom control... however I prefer to create icon for each custom control as it definitely adds value.
I often use VI Hierarchy window, Context help window and here a custom icon helps.

I am not allergic to Kudos, in fact I love Kudos.

Make your LabVIEW experience more CONVENIENT.

Message 2 of 7
(2,509 Views)

moderator1983 wrote:

I often use VI Hierarchy window, Context help window and here a custom icon helps.

Most importantly, if you add the control to the user control palette, an icon is a must.

Message 3 of 7
(2,505 Views)

@moderator1983 wrote:

You said it correctly, not very frequently (I'll not say RARELY) we see the icons for a custom control... however I prefer to create icon for each custom control as it definitely adds value.

Haha - I COMPLETELY FORGOT that one of the first things I do is uncheck the "Place front panel terminals as icons" box so I never see the actual icons!  So that answers my question right there - it is good to make them.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,501 Views)

That's a good point also.  I'm glad that my first instinct is always to make an icon.

edit:

Sorry I can only accept one as a solution.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,497 Views)

I'd like to add another time that you see the control's icon, is when it is a type def cluster, and you have it as a constant on the block diagram.  Then double click the border to shrink the cluster.  It will shrink to the size of the control's icon.

I also hardly ever make a control icon.  Only when it is on the palette in a reuse package.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,386 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

I'd like to add another time that you see the control's icon, is when it is a type def cluster, and you have it as a constant on the block diagram.  Then double click the border to shrink the cluster.  It will shrink to the size of the control's icon.

I also hardly ever make a control icon.  Only when it is on the palette in a reuse package.

Yeah,t hat's what I meant in my original post, although you CAN represent a cluster constant on the BD as an icon - but it's just the little thing on the bottom of the typdef'd cluster because it obviously has no actual icon.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,375 Views)