LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it legal to use NiModbus under linux?

Hi,

situation is: National Instruments provides the Instaler for NiModbus Library only for Windows-OS... but the Library itselv  also runs on Linux-OS. So the Question is: Is it legal to copy the ni.modbusllb out of an installation on Windows-OS and use it under Linux-OS...

regards
t4b-1re-2
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,286 Views)
I think it will be OK if you have a license for the linux dev environment. Maybe they just don't actively support it on linux.
Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,279 Views)

t4b-1re-2 wrote:
Hi,

situation is: National Instruments provides the Instaler for NiModbus Library only for Windows-OS... but the Library itselv  also runs on Linux-OS. So the Question is: Is it legal to copy the ni.modbusllb out of an installation on Windows-OS and use it under Linux-OS...

regards
t4b-1re-2

Yes it is. NIMODBUS.LLB to the best of my understandings is a free download from NI for any legal user of LabVIEW. That they provide a Windows only installer is sort of neglectance of NI, of the fact that there are other platform users than Windows only. Why there needs to be an installer I'm not even sure. the library should be basically self contained and I think it is not to much asked of an average LabVIEW programmer to know how to copy an LLB into the instr.lib subdirectory. But apparently someone at NI thought that there should be an installer for such a trivial task and in the process of it forgot that there are other platforms LabVIEW is running on. (Or they think only Windows users are not smart enough to be able to copy a file themselves Smiley Very Happy )

Rolf Kalbermatter
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,277 Views)