From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

instances revealed when doing a compare

Hi All,

I've been comparing two VI hierarchies and have come across an unusual set of returns;

The VI, "Measure OSA.vi", returns a number of instances that are different. 

e.g.

Measure OSA.vi:Instance:2

In each case it appears to be the express VI, 'Display Message to User', that is causing the difference/ instance.

Does anyone know why the express VI's are causing these instances.  They don't appear to be re-entrant, I'm a bit baffled.

Thanks,

Sean

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,001 Views)

Hi Sean,

Thanks for posted about this issue. Firstly I wanted to reassure you that, dispite what the compare list implies, there are not multiple instances of your top-level VI. However, I agree that the naming convention being used is missleading.

To replicate your issue I made a simple vi which called 3 express VIs in sequence. I saved this VI (compare1.vi), and made a copy of it (compare2.vi). Effectively, I now had 2 identical VIs with slight different names. While both VIs were open in memory, I went to tools >> compare. As you can see below the compare Window shows a main instance of the top-level VIs PLUS x3 instances of the top-level VI (one per Express VI).

Instances.JPG

I them compared the 2 top-level VIs (ie. Compare1.vi and Compare2.vi). As you can see below, the comparision tool (correctly) found 0 differences.

Top Level Compare.JPG

I then compared a top-level VI (ie. Compare1.vi) with an instance of that top-level VI (ie. Compare1.vi:Instance:0). As you will see, the tool found many differences. This is because we are NOT actually comparing 2 instances of Compare1.vi... but we are actually comparing Compare1.vi with one of the ExpressVIs.

Top Level and Instance Compare.JPG

I wanted to take this oppertunity to reassure you that, dispite the implication, the additional of each ExpressVI does not spawn multiple instances of the top-level VI, and that everything is behaving as intended. However, I do agree that the current naming convention for each Express VI is rather confusing. I will raise this as a corrective action request with the LabVIEW R&D team to see if we can make this a little more obvious in a future release.

Thanks for bringing this to naming convention oddity to our attention. But, to assure you one last time, from a programmatic/functional perspective, everything is working as expected.

Hope this has been helpful,

Kind regards,

Rich Roberts
Senior Marketing Engineer, National Instruments
Connect on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/richard-roberts-4176a27b/
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,979 Views)