From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installer build giving error code -12

Hey,

I am trying to build an installer in labview 2011 and I get the error code -12 (see attached picture).

Does anyone know what this is about and how to solve it?

Thanks,

Grega

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(3,210 Views)

There are so many things that could cause an installer build to fail...

Sometimes when a build fail (EXE or Installer) simply closing LabVIEW and re-opening it is enough so solve the issue.

Next step would be to check that the Source Files have all been built correctly before (the EXEs and source distrib that the installer is using), check the additional installers that you enabled (make sure LabVIEW will find them where they were installed from), if you use any LVOOP make sure there is not ANY broken VIs in your classes and if your installer creates some registry entries make sure you haen't deleted any (see here for more details about that one).

Hope this helps, good luck!

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(3,200 Views)

Hi,

Another issue that you might have is, if you use some toolkit or modules that are not licensed/activated, you will receive an error while compiling.

What error do you receive if you build the executable and not installer?

Best regards,

I.R.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(3,178 Views)

Hey ion.rosca,

I don't get any error for building exe file. Only for installer.

Regards,

Grega

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(3,175 Views)

Hi,

1. Please confirm that the executable works fine after you build it.

2. When you build the installer, what do you include beside your application, what drivers and what RunTime version?

Best regards,

I.R.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(3,172 Views)

Hey,

1. my exe application works fine (provided that the target computer has labview run-time environment).

2. I don't get to that point. In my project i only choose new installer, and I get the error (without any optional window poping up).

Kind Regards,

Grega

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(3,170 Views)

Hi Grega,

At the following link it is described step by step how to build an installer

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361J-01/lvhowto/build_installer/

On of the option you have, at Advanced Installer Option, you can choose what RunTime version and what drivers to be installed on the new computer.

Basically the reason for building an installer is that you don't have to install additionaly RunTime or drivers, installer will de everything for you.

Please follow the steps described in the link above and tell me if the error is still there.

I.R.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(3,165 Views)

Hey,

this is exactly what I did. At Build Specifications I choose New -> Installer. Then I get the error (picture attached in first post).

Kind Regards,

Grega

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(3,162 Views)

If you make a simple project, a simple VI that lits a led, do you manage to build an installer for that application?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(3,156 Views)

I tried switching on a led with boolean control in a while loop and it is the same.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(3,148 Views)