From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installation of USB (INF file on Windows XP)

Hi,
         I am trying to install (two) USB to parallel (IEEE1284)  adapters on a Windows XP  system to control some previously working specialized hardware (using parallel ports on an ISA bus machine).  I follow the  info at http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4478 about creating the INF/PNF files. The INF file looks OK to me (has the correct VID and PID). However, when I insert the adapter (ATEN UC-1284B) Windows recognizes it and uses the Windows printing utility driver for it. It is as if the INF file I created is ignored. I don's see the USB to parallel adapter in MAX. I also have a USB hub on the "other" USB output of the computer (for mouse and keybd).Of course under System>>Harware>>DeviceManager>>USB Controllers>>Drivers I see the device.  I have placed the INF/PNF file in c:\windows\inf . I determined this to be %SystemRoot%\inf by going to a DOS window and  doing a "cd" to that location. This is urgent/time critical as the equipment needs to be shipped internationally so development time with it is limited. Thanks

Romualdo de Souza
Indiana University

Message Edited by jb888 on 12-21-2006 06:22 AM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,916 Views)
Why are you trying to create your own .inf file? The procedure you mention is only for creating your own driver and using USB RAW commands. Surely the converter came with it's own driver and this is what you are seeing in the windows device manager. My suggestion would be to remove the .inf file (and the compiled version) from the system and reboot the pc. Then see if the new parallel port shows up in MAX. I've only had experience with USB<->RS232 converters but using those, the driver that comes with the device is all that you need.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,901 Views)