LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

install with dll dependendies

I'm using LabVIEW 8.6 full package and made an executable target that works as expected, so I then made an install target which I tested by installing on another computer just to make sure all is OK.  The project that I made uses another vendors library of VIs which call a couple of .dll files in a separate directory.  I see the dll files listed as dependencies in my project, but when I did the install I needed to go back and install the dll files in Windows/System 32 directory to get the newly installed program to run.  Is there a way to eliminate this by having the installer add these two dll files in the installed project directory?

Sydney

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,070 Views)

hounddog wrote:

I'm using LabVIEW 8.6 full package and made an executable target that works as expected, so I then made an install target which I tested by installing on another computer just to make sure all is OK.  The project that I made uses another vendors library of VIs which call a couple of .dll files in a separate directory.  I see the dll files listed as dependencies in my project, but when I did the install I needed to go back and install the dll files in Windows/System 32 directory to get the newly installed program to run.  Is there a way to eliminate this by having the installer add these two dll files in the installed project directory?

Sydney

Files in the Windows or System directory are always considered by LabVIEW to be part of the OS or another system level installer and therfore not included in a built. Usually installers that put DLLs in there need to also install kernel device drivers or other similar things. Such drivers can't just be copied to the HD but need to be added to the system and registered in specific ways that can only do an installer knowing exactly about the drivers.

If you are sure there is only a DLL and not other hidden dependencies such as other indirectly linked DLLs and device drivers you should copy the DLLs into your development directory and link to them there. LabVIEW then will add those DLLs to the build as dependancies automatically and copy them to the installed application too. If however those DLLs rely on device drivers, other secondary DLLs or maybe registry settings added by the installer you should really abstain from trying to reimplement the installer that put those DLLs on your system and document to the user of your application that he needs to install those other installers too to make your application work.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Message Edited by rolfk on 01-19-2009 10:00 PM
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 2
(2,057 Views)