LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hyber termial in labview

Hi,

Presently I use the HyperTerminal to communicate with the Laser. How can I use Labview to control the Laser instead of the HyperTerminal?

Thanks,

KN

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(2,851 Views)

Did you try searching for "hyperterminal" or "serial" in the forums before posting your question?

If you look in the LabVIEW example finder and search for "serial" you'll find examples that show who to use VISA Read and Write to communicate through a serial port.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(2,846 Views)

Yes, I can use serial port to communicate with instruments but not the one that currently use hyberterminal to communicate with. It does not understand the hyberterminal command thru serial port.

Thank you for you help.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(2,834 Views)

@KPRO wrote:

Yes, I can use serial port to communicate with instruments but not the one that currently use hyberterminal to communicate with. It does not understand the hyberterminal command thru serial port.

Thank you for you help.

That's likely because you need to append an End of Line to the command before writing to the serial port.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(2,831 Views)

@KPRO wrote:

Hi,

Presently I use the HyperTerminal to communicate with the Laser. How can I use Labview to control the Laser instead of the HyperTerminal?

Thanks,

KN

What Laser? (Where is the "LMRTFMFY" Link)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 5 of 18
(2,822 Views)

@KPRO wrote:

Thank you for you help.

Oh, also make sure hyperterminal has closed out the port before trying with LabVIEW.  Only one program can have it.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(2,818 Views)

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help. I did run only one program and also add end of line to command line but still reading nothing.

Attached is the screen of hyberterminal with only simple command S: to display status of the laser.

Any advise are very much appreciated.

Khanh

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(2,774 Views)

@KPRO wrote:

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help. I did run only one program and also add end of line to command line but still reading nothing.

Attached is the screen of hyberterminal with only simple command S: to display status of the laser.

Any advise are very much appreciated.

Khanh

Looking at the doc you posted, this has to be insanely simple.  Please post your VI so we can help you out.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(2,760 Views)

Attached is the screen shot of the LV. Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(2,745 Views)

First and foremost, you have the read set to read only 2 bytes of data from the port, and according to your other doc, you are expecting WAY more than that.

Unfortunately, the none of the examples are great examples of real-world communications.  I would recommend searching this forum for examples of serial communications and also learning about serial communications in general.  For example, it appears that the response contains an EOL character.  If that is ALWAYS true - and I've seen equipment where some responses do and some don't - you can use that to vastly simplify the serial read.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(2,739 Views)