From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

huge block diagram

Solved!
Go to solution

I have inherited a VI which has a huge block diagram meaning that I would have to hold and drag the mouse for at least 15 seconds to get from the "left" to the "right".

How do I connect something from the left to something on the right?

The guy was using global variables.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,224 Views)

Hi monmouth,

refactor that VI to reduce the block diagram size. Much better than wiring from left to right in a huge diagram...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 12
(3,223 Views)

That's not an option because the front panel must be unchanged.

It is a VI that processes 100+ bytes and uses the bits and bytes to set LEDs and other items on the front panel. I would say at least 200 elements.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,210 Views)

Hi monmouth,

you don't need to change the frontpanel while changing the block diagram...

Handling "100+ bytes" is nothing. Even a simple CSV text is usually way bigger...

Having 200+ elements on the front panel might sound big, but can be a sign of bad UI design. (But that fits to a huge block diagram and being unwilling to improve it.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,201 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author monmouth

You can create subVI's without changing the front panel.. Layout of the front panel is not determined by the size of the block diagram.

What you can try, if you really want to continue down this route, is you can start a wire and click on the block diagram to leave it hanging broken.  Then scroll the window.  Then click on the wire and start stretching if further until your almost run of the screen and tack it down to the block diagram again leaving it broken.  Do that for however many time you need to.

Another possibility, create a small structure like a single frame flat sequence.  Connect your new wire to that creating a tunnel.  Then you can drag that structure across the block diagram (scroll, drag, scroll drag,) until you get it close to where you need to go.  Wire through the sequence, then into your destination.  Then remove the sequence frame.  You'll basically being using ti to anchor down your wire and stretch it for you.  The previous idea runs the risk that your dangling wire winds up accidentally disappearing after a mis-click.

With either idea, when done, right click the wire and chose wire cleanup.

Message 5 of 12
(3,197 Views)

1.  I like RavensFan's suggestion of anchoring the wire to something to prevent losing it as you scroll & drag.

2. If you didn't already know this, once you drag something far enough to make the screen scroll, you can speed up the scroll rate by holding down the <SHIFT> key.

3. Tales from the trenches (in 3-part harmony dissonance):

a. I have also inherited a few pieces of semi-monstrous code.  At times, the expedient course of action was to hold my nose & let the code stay monstrous while making the smallest possible modifications.  

Caution: this hasn't always worked out nicely.  With such code beasts, minor changes can result in significant and hard to anticipate side effects.

b. Another approach is to try to refactor and modularize the code.  To do this well requires you to gain a solid understanding of both how the code functions *and* how it's structured.

Caution: this might be a waste of time.  Usually, code that spans across so many screens was never structured coherently in the first place.  Sometimes code sprawl is so far gone that it just isn't worth the effort to tame it. 

c.  When you find yourself spending a lot more time tracing through code to see *how* it does things rather than spending time understanding *what* it does, that can be a signal that it's time to just rewrite the thing from scratch.

Caution: this might be a waste of time too.  Modifications may be risky, but there's at least a chance of seeing quick success.  A total rewrite raises the floor on the time you'll spend fixing code, and there's no guarantee that it lowers the ceiling.

-Kevin P

your little bluebird of happiness

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 6 of 12
(3,183 Views)

@Kevin_Price wrote:

1.  I like RavensFan's suggestion of anchoring the wire to something to prevent losing it as you scroll & drag.

2. If you didn't already know this, once you drag something far enough to make the screen scroll, you can speed up the scroll rate by holding down the <SHIFT> key.

3. Tales from the trenches (in 3-part harmony dissonance):

a. I have also inherited a few pieces of semi-monstrous code.  At times, the expedient course of action was to hold my nose & let the code stay monstrous while making the smallest possible modifications.  

Caution: this hasn't always worked out nicely.  With such code beasts, minor changes can result in significant and hard to anticipate side effects.

b. Another approach is to try to refactor and modularize the code.  To do this well requires you to gain a solid understanding of both how the code functions *and* how it's structured.

Caution: this might be a waste of time.  Usually, code that spans across so many screens was never structured coherently in the first place.  Sometimes code sprawl is so far gone that it just isn't worth the effort to tame it. 

c.  When you find yourself spending a lot more time tracing through code to see *how* it does things rather than spending time understanding *what* it does, that can be a signal that it's time to just rewrite the thing from scratch.

Caution: this might be a waste of time too.  Modifications may be risky, but there's at least a chance of seeing quick success.  A total rewrite raises the floor on the time you'll spend fixing code, and there's no guarantee that it lowers the ceiling.

-Kevin P

your little bluebird of happiness

I like RavensFan idea too.

But I had a good chuckle with your tales from the trenches. I can totally relate.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,170 Views)

My two biggest jobs involved monstrous Block Diagrams (I printed one out just to see all of it -- at half-size (so one page as printed = 2 x 2 = 4 pages at "normal size", I ended up with 10 pages across and 2 pages tall.  I definitely started over.  Took a bit of time, but we ended up with (a) code that worked, (b) code that collected data twice as fast, (c) code that didn't throw errors every few minutes, (d) had a much cleaner and clearer data structure (both for configuration and for outputting data), and (e) was easily modified to admit new stimulus and recording paradigms.  And did I say that everything was documented (because I wrote the VI documentation as I wrote the VIs)?

If you have a sufficiently huge problem, if you understand what needs to be done (it helps if you can write down the major requirements), and if you have some time to do the job right, "Starting Over" can be a big Win.

Bob Schor

Message 8 of 12
(3,165 Views)

One thing that might help tackle the "sprawl" a little at a time is to make use of "Create SubVI" in the Block Diagram Edit Menu.  

Before making any changes to complicated code though, I would bring your project into some kind of Source Code Control if it isn't already.  I like TortoiseSVN.  

Commit your code often, and comment your commits.  This way, if you break something and can't track down what happened through the mass of code, you can very easily roll your code back to before you made that change.  

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,125 Views)

@pallen wrote:

One thing that might help tackle the "sprawl" a little at a time is to make use of "Create SubVI" in the Block Diagram Edit Menu.  

Before making any changes to complicated code though, I would bring your project into some kind of Source Code Control if it isn't already.  I like TortoiseSVN.  

Commit your code often, and comment your commits.  This way, if you break something and can't track down what happened through the mass of code, you can very easily roll your code back to before you made that change.  

A little caveat about this is if the code is poorly written - which is likely, given the problem being solved - making a subVI from existing code may force dataflow, eliminating a race condition that needed to be there.  My code, which usually consists of many simple modules - isn't very susceptible to this, but with huge, sprawling code, it could be a significant worry.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 10 of 12
(3,086 Views)