LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to transfer a single data from RT to FPGA

Solved!
Go to solution

I am starting work with CRio 9012, I would like to know how to transfer data from FPGA to RT, I have found something about DMA FIFOS, however I notice that is only possible to transfer arrays, i dont know if i am doing something wrong. I have another question, is it possible use global varible to tranfers data between RT and FPGA?

Filipe 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,654 Views)

You cannot use a global variable to transfer data between the RT system and an FPGA, since they both run completely independently of each other and do not share memory.

A DMA FIFO can transfer a single point of data or multiple points of data; they are most useful for streaming data from the FPGA to the RT system or vice versa.  If there is only a single item in the FIFO the output of FIFO Read will be a single-element array.  For your use case the best solution is a front panel control or indicator; see the FPGA examples provided with LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,644 Views)
If i try use a DMA fifo to transfer data between FPGA and RT, i need to choose TYPE:  DMA HOST-TO-TARGET ok? or TARGET-SCOPED must be chosen? In this case my host is the RT and the target is FPGA ok? 
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,635 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SaCi

280584 wrote:
If i try use a DMA fifo to transfer data between FPGA and RT, i need to choose TYPE:  DMA HOST-TO-TARGET ok? or TARGET-SCOPED must be chosen? In this case my host is the RT and the target is FPGA ok? 

Yes, you'll need to use "Host to Target" or "Target to Host" (the FPGA is the Target, RT is the Host); which one depends on the direction you want to send the data.  Target-scoped is for FIFOs that are used only on the FPGA; they are useful for transferring data between concurrent loops in FPGA code.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,631 Views)